Sunday, June 16, 2024

Big Ten clash, spikers to face Northwestern

The Wisconsin volleyball team (11-5 Big Ten, 20-7 overall) has an enormous task in front of them:?? proving their dominance and improving in the Big Ten.?? Wednesday, the Badgers host Northwestern (9-7, 16-12) at the Field House, and are seeking revenge for an Oct. 23 loss to the Wildcats.??  

\[Northwestern] has been in the back of our minds since that match,""?? Head Coach Pete Waite said. 

This match comes after an exciting weekend for the Badgers, capping off two solid home victories against Illinois and Purdue. 

Wednesday evening will be much more than a night of vengeance for the Badgers; it will also be a family affair.??UW junior libero Korie Gardner will match up against her younger sister Christie, a freshman outside hitter at Northwestern. 

""I don't like playing against my sister.??We're pretty supportive of one and other, and it's hard to want to beat her,""??Gardner said.  

This will be the second Big Ten meeting between the sisters. 

Home court will be a key factor for the Badgers. 

""Our team plays so well with the home crowd here. We really need the younger crowd coming out,"" Waite said.??  

UW currently holds the third spot in attendance in the NCAA, averaging about 3,400 fans per home game.??UW has a 12-1 home record this season.'? 

Northwestern comes into Madison holding a fourth-place spot in the Big Ten, two matches behind the Badgers. The Wildcats shut out the Badgers 3-0 earlier this season with game scores 30-22, 43-41 and 30-24.?? Since that point, the Badgers have drastically improved their play. 

""We want to get [Northwestern] on our home court and prove to ourselves that we've become a much better team since then,"" Waite said.?? 

The Badgers see this match as a big challenge. 

""Every team in the Big Ten is good this year,"" Gardner said.??  

With such a tight race in the Big Ten, a win is crucial for both clubs.??UW closes its season against tough conference opponents No. 17 Penn State, Michigan and Michigan State.?? 

At second place in the Big Ten with only four matches left, the Badgers are just out of reach of the first-place spot currently held by Minnesota (15-1, 29-3).??Even though the Badgers cannot win their third consecutive Big Ten title this year, the team has aspirations for a run at the NCAA title.?? The 64 team tournament begins Dec. 5 and runs until the championship game Dec. 21.?? A victory against Northwestern may allow UW to host a few rounds in the tournament. 

Wisconsin leads the series 31-24, with Northwestern's first victory since 1988 coming earlier this season in Evanston, Ill.  

The volleyball action commences at the UW Field House at 7 p.m. Wednesday.