Women look to Chimera program for self-defense needs after Sept. 11

One year after the terrorist attacks on the United States, some Americans are still searching for a sense of security; one way they are doing so is by enrolling in self-defense courses. 

According to Matt Munrich, head instructor of Elite Defense Systems, enrollment in his Jeet Kune Do self-defense classes has doubled following the attacks last September. 

\The events of 9/11 raised awareness,"" Munrich said. ""... people who travel on a regular basis might see a bigger need for [self-defense] now."" 

Munrich will be presenting his self-defense course at UW-Madison Sept. 28 at Union South. The event is sponsored by the Freestyle Grappling Club.  

JKD involves kickboxing, close quarters combat, ground fighting, weapons and mass attack. The class will focus mainly on fundamental moves in these areas. 

The UW-Madison Rape Crisis Center, in coordination with the UW-Madison Dean of Students Office, is also sponsoring a self defense seminar. Chimera, a nationwide self-defense program designed for women, will be taught in two-day sessions during September, October and November in Gordon Commons.  

Cheri Dubiel, Resource Development Coordinator for the RCC, said she feels Chimera gives women a set of tools to combat a physical attack. She also said that the class will give women more confidence in themselves and their ability to say 'no.' 

""The class teaches women assertiveness and gives them the confidence to protect themselves,"" Dubiel said. ""It's amazing to watch people as they develop throughout the class. ... The skills are useful in all aspects of their lives."" 

Self-defense is a valuable tool, according to Lori Henn, Violence Prevention Coordinator for University Health Services, but students should continue to practice basic safety. 

""There is no panacea. You don't do A, B and C and you're safe. ... We try to inform students, so hopefully some conglomeration will help keep them safe,"" Henn said. 

Johnnie Diamante, sergeant of community affairs for the UW Police said many assaults on campus involve the consumption of alcohol or other drugs. 

""Be cautious of new people. Meet them again in a public place when alcohol is not a factor, when you're not vulnerable,"" Diamante said. 

Diamante also said simple things can help keep students safe. Locking doors and personal property, walking in groups at night and communicating with friends and campus personnel creates a safer environment. 

Call 1-877-337-1877, if you are interested in the EDS program and contact the Rape Crisis Center at 251-5126 to register for a Chimera class. Both classes require a fee.