Sunday, June 16, 2024

Code Orange prompts tighter security at game

Badger fans experienced tighter security measures at the UW-Madison versus Northern Illinois University football game last Saturday.  

U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft and Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge issued an orange level of threat last Tuesday for Camp Randall which calls for a \different level of response"" said Sue Riseling, UW-Madison police chief. 

The threat level increased from the previous week's game, during which only a yellow threat level was issued. Orange indicates the second-highest threat level.  

If the orange threat level is still effective for the Arizona game Sept. 21, football attendees and surrounding residents can expect the same precautions. 

Police and security take serious precautions due to the higher lever of alert. 

""Prior to games we go through Camp Randall with a fine-tooth comb,"" Riseling said.  

UW-Madison police conduct car searches in lots closest to the stadium, use bomb-sniffing dogs and restrict traffic on Breese Terrace as precautionary measures. 

Some area residents said the security is too intrusive and asked the Mayor and city officials to request an end to the increased security. UW-Madison police said they will not stop the inspections. 

""What we're seeing since Sept. 11 is the gradual erosion of people's civil liberties,"" Ald. Tom Powell, District 5, said. 

During these car searches, police and security take the risk of bombs and weapons very seriously Riseling said, citing an incident last November when an individual was found with two explosive devices near the stadium. 

When there is a high risk of attack, ""people need to expect delays"" and ""anticipate more stringent gate checks."" Items such as backpacks, umbrellas, coolers and other large bags are not permitted.  

The police chief said ""life has changed"" since the Sept. 11 attacks. 

""Camp Randall is most at risk when it's full,"" Riseling said.