Monday, June 17, 2024

Cardinal Sports End of the Year Awards: Games

Junior wide receiver Lee Evans had the best overall individual performance this year in UW's Homecoming game against Michigan State. Though the Badgers lost 42-28 Oct. 27, Evans had a career day. The star wideout caught nine passes for 228 yards and three touchdowns, including a 70-yard touchdown reception from redshirt freshman quarterback Matt Schabert in the third quarter. 

Evans also caught two touchdown passes from sophomore quarterback Jim Sorgi, one from 30 yards and one from 42 yards away. 

Evans' 228 yards also gave him more than 1,000 yards receiving for the season, the first time in UW history that a receiver has accumulated more than 1,000 yards in one season. 

Honorable mention goes to UW freshman goaltender Bernd Bruckler for his amazing play March 2 against the University of Minnesota-Duluth. Bruckler stopped 47 out of 48 shots from the Bulldogs to help lead the Badgers to a 5-1 victory. His efforts that night gave him the Western Collegiate Hockey Association's Rookie of the Week honors. 

The sporting event of the year that occurred on campus ended on a sour special-teams note when the Michigan Wolverines slipped by the Badgers 20-17 at Camp Randall Stadium Nov. 17. 

The Badgers' defense held 11th-ranked Michigan to only 163 yards of total offense and forced two turnovers, but the outcome of the game came down to the closing seconds. 

The Wisconsin defense forced the Wolverines to punt from midfield with the score tied 17-17 with less than 20 seconds remaining in the game.  

But the kick bounced off UW freshman defensive back Brett Bell and was recovered by Michigan at the Badgers' 13-yard line, leading to a game-winning field goal by Michigan kicker Hayden Epstein. 

Junior receiver Lee Evans totaled 31 yards to break Al Toon's school record for career receiving yardage, while running back Anthony Davis tied an NCAA freshman record with his ninth 100-yard rushing game of the season.

Throughout the year, there were many lasting sports images, many of which were of the men's basketball team. However, none may be as implanted in the minds of UW basketball fans as UW Head Coach Bo Ryan's reaction to the last-second shot against Michigan State in East Lansing. 

Leading 64-63 with 0.2 seconds left, Kelvin Tolbert appeared to sink the game winner as time expired. Along with the entire Michigan State student body, Ryan ran onto the court to protest that the game clock had expired.  

After officials met, the shot was not allowed and Wisconsin emerged victorious. However, this was not just a Big Ten victory against the then-No. 25 Spartans; it was also the end of the nation's longest home winning streak. The Badger victory marked the first time in 54 games that Michigan State did not win on its home floor. Wisconsin was led by Charlie Wills' game-high 17 points and Freddie Owens, who scored all 12 of his points in the second half. 

Trailing 17-0 at one point to then No. 21 Ohio State, Wisconsin made a furious comeback to defeat the Buckeyes in Columbus 20-17. Kicker Mark Neuser drilled a 33-yard field goal with 2:10 remaining and the Badger defense held strong to hold on for the impressive win.