Vote may regulate drink specials

UW-Madison Chancellor John Wiley expressed strong support Wednesday for a recent report that suggests a limitation on drink specials in Madison. 

The Alcohol License Review Committee, that conducted the report will vote on it tonight. 

Wiley's presentation included information on excessive drinking at UW-Madison and outlined the university's position on preventing high-risk drinking behaviors.  

\The problem that we are addressing is high-risk drinking,"" Wiley said. ""Not just drinking, but high-risk, dangerous drinking."" 

Wiley expressed his support for keg registrations and the recommendations of the ALRC, specifically limits on drink specials. He also said the university may consider reinstating the parental notification policy. He cited increased numbers of alcohol-free events and efforts by the Greek community as progress on the issue. 

Wiley responded to criticisms of proposed measures by contending that many offer objections without offering solutions. 

""We have heard a lot in these editorials about what people don't want,"" Wiley said. ""What we haven't heard is any positive or constructive criticisms."" 

During the press conference, maps comparing liquor law violations, disorderly conduct and bars hosting drink specials in the downtown area were shown. The highest concentration of all three were in the 600 to 800 blocks of Langdon Street, State Street, University Avenue and Johnson Street. These areas accounted for four times as many violations even though they are not the most populated by students or where the largest number of establishments with liquor licenses are located. 

Wiley acknowledges that correlation does not mean causation, and that high-risk drinking is limited to a minority of students. However, he cites the college tradition of drinking as facilitating possible harm. 

""We live in a culture, in this city like any other college town, that bombards students to drink more and faster,"" Wiley said. 

Students responded to the Chancellor's comments and recommendations with skepticism. 

""I think, for a lot of people, drinking too much is an issue of growing up,"" UW-Madison junior Carrie Peterson said. ""[The university] can provide the awareness but they can't stop it. It's a maturity issue."" 

Peterson's comments were echoed by others who saw broader shifts needed for improvement. 

""I think you need a drastic change,"" UW-Madison junior Brad Jelinek said. ""I don't think there are any easy fixes.""  

However, students were pleased with the university's emphasis on alcohol-free events including movie nights and bowling. 

Wiley acknowledges that there are no easy answers to drinking issues, but is committed to improvement. 

""I predict [drinking] will never completely go away,"" Wiley said. ""It's something we'll always have to deal with. We'll chip away at it... [but] there is no magic bullet.\