StudentPrint turns 30; Wiley offers praise

StudentPrint, the only student-owned, student-operated small business on the UW-Madison campus, celebrated its 30th birthday Wednesday. 

The business, responsible for different services like course reading packets, began in 1972 and has survived financial woes since. 

UW-Madison Chancellor John Wiley spoke at a press conference to commemorate the birthday, congratulating students on the accomplishment. 

\Thirty years is an amazing accomplishment for any [registered student organization] on campus,"" Wiley said. ""It is doubled by your ability to gain real-life, entrepreneurial experience and the fact that you are entirely self-sufficient."" 

UW-Madison freshman Isaac Perkins, a StudentPrint employee, said the organization served as a template for other campus businesses. 

Alissa DeVaughn, Associated Students of Madison StudentPrint team leader, agreed. 

""The reason that StudentPrint's 30th anniversary is so monumental is because it demonstrates to the campus the strength and ingenuity of everyday students,"" DeVaughn said.