City growth continues

It seems that no matter where one looks around downtown Madison these days, the visible signs of high-rise construction are evident around every corner. If several proposed development projects are approved for construction, the Basset neighborhood could be getting some taller neighbors in the near future. 

\It's a trend that's happening not only in Madison, but throughout the country,"" said Todd McGrath, whose company, McGrath Associates, is one of the developers who proposed their plans last Thursday. ""Cities and residents want centrally located housing rather than expanding and building on the outskirts of the town."" 

The four separately proposed projects include: McGrath Associates' 4th Ward Lofts, a four-story, 80-unit apartment building, located on the 600 blocks of West Main Street and West Doty Street; a three-story mixed-use building and a five-story residential building on and around the property of 536 W. Washington Ave., proposed by the Keller Real Estate Group; a 28-unit apartment complex on 542 W. Main St., suggested by Krupp Construction; and finally group-led parking redevelopments on Block 49, the 300 blocks of West Wilson and West Doty streets, that would include storage and parking space. 

""The Basset neighborhood is ripe for redevelopment because of its old housing stock and vacant industrial land,"" said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. ""I'm biased as a resident, but I think the downtown is the best place to live, work and play."" 

Verveer noted that the need for residential housing in Madison is high due to Dane County's recent population increases, making the area the fastest growing region in the state. 

""There is a market demand for residential housing and redevelopment,"" said Brad Murphy, director for the city's planning unit.  

One interesting aspect of the proposed redevelopments is the intended preservation of some of the historic houses and buildings in the Basset area. McGrath Associates plans to restore the 19th century Doris Farmhouse, while the Keller Real Estate Group will enhance the historic buildings at 540 and 544 W. Washington Ave. 

""I don't know if [preservation] is so much of a developer's idea, but it is a city objective to maintain the landmarks and some of the historic housing stock in the area,"" Murphy said. 

While the majority of the recent high-rise construction around Madison is designed to be student-oriented housing, most of these proposed projects are intended to attract long-term residents to the downtown area. 

""The neighborhood is student dominated,"" Verveer said. ""But the increase of long-term residents can only increase diversity, and benefit the community as a whole.\