Students seek info on Mideast conflicts

As Americans re-evaluate the U.S. relationship with other nations since the events of Sept. 11, one country many feel passionately about is Israel. The desire of UW-Madison students for information regarding the situation in the Middle East is growing, according to student organization leaders. 

Palestine Right to Return Co-Chair Christopher Khoury said that since Sept. 11, students on campus have been approaching members of the group to learn more about Middle East issues.  

\We've really tried to discuss the Palestine and Israel conflict and why it's central to so many people,"" he said. 

Students are responding in greater numbers more now than ever before, with more than 100 people coming to the group's events, according to Khoury. Most of these people do not have set beliefs on the issues, but simply want to learn more about the issues on both sides, he said. 

The organization is currently focusing attention on the Israeli-Palestine conflict and how students can relate it to their knowledge of other current events.  

""We're trying to shed light on the parallels between the Palestine refugee situation and the current Afghanistan refugee crisis,"" he said. 

Another student organization is also trying to promote education about Israel, although this group opposes unconditional support for the Israeli government. 

UW-Madison graduate student Jonathan Graubart of Jewish Voices Against the Occupation agreed there is a greater curiosity among students now to learn about the issues. Every Friday, the group stands on Library Mall to advocate its opinions, and Graubart said now more than ever students have been approaching members with questions. 

""We've been pretty pleasantly surprised,"" he said of the student reactions. 

Graubart also said the majority of students do not have strong views either way, which is why learning more simply by discussing is beneficial. 

""I would really love to see more debates and discussions,"" he said. 

One of those discussions took place Monday, when Marty Katz, a Milwaukee resident who lived in Israel for 10 years and served in its army, spoke at Hillel, 611 Langdon St. 

Katz addressed various issues pertaining to the current situation in Israel, a country for which he has ""unconditional love."" 

After the speech, Katz said one reason it is essential to speak to students is because it is important for them to be aware of the situation, even if they do not take a position. 

""Students should recognize the need to learn more but also the need to be active more,"" he said. 

Rick Woolman, president of the Madison branch of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, said the organization invited Katz to speak in order to promote a sense of unity among all students regarding Israel. 

""Through education, hopefully we can come to an understanding of both sides and therefore make a more educated opinion about the situations,"" he said.  

Some students who attended agreed learning more is important.  

""I walk through Library Mall and I see Zionism equated with racism, and my heart drops,"" said UW-Madison Senior Micah Bycel.