Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Islamic open house informs students

The Islamic Center of Madison held an open house Sunday to dispel myths surrounding Islam. The event drew fewer people than the estimated 600 who attended a previous open house; between 50 and 100 people were in attendance Sunday. 

\The goal was basically to invite anyone and everyone who had questions about Islam, especially post-Sept. 11,"" said Asif Sheikh, president of the UW-Madison Muslim Students Association.  

Trying to determine truth in the conflicting reports regarding Islam was one motivation for attendees.  

""I felt I was hearing a lot of things from unreliable sources. I wanted to hear from people who knew what they were talking about,"" said Ralph Stern, a Madison-area high school student, of why he attended Sunday's open house.  

""I wish everyone would go to something like this,"" he said. ""I think more [open houses] like this would help to clear up a lot of misunderstandings."" 

The most common misconceptions of Islam include its relationship to violence and to women, Sheikh said. 

The open house featured presentations and information booths about different issues in addition to providing a forum for Muslims and attendees to discuss their questions and concerns.  

Open house presenter Elsayed Mogahed, a UW-Madison associate scientist in engineering dealing specifically with fusion technology, said the main thing he wanted people to take away from the open house was that ""Muslims are a peaceful people.""  

""Because of all this media about who did what, people wanted to understand why and [Muslims] wanted to deny what was being placed on them,"" Mogahed said of allegations linking the terrorist attacks to Islam. 

The idea of commonalities and not divisions between Muslims and other religious groups was also cited.  

""One of the most important things was seeing how Islam shares several aspects of its religion [with other faiths] ... that so much can link more than separate,"" said Laura Epstein, another Madison-area high school student. ""It is so evident, but so often there is a focus on the differences."" 

Sheikh said he thought the open house was successful in meeting its goal of raising awareness. 

""The most common response I have gotten is that people are leaving here more enlightened,"" Sheikh said. 

Islamic groups in Madison will host lectures and other events during an Islamic Awareness Week the first week of December. 

Madison residents have been willing to look into Islam for understanding, Mogahed said. 

""Compared with bigger cities, we hear about [how] there is a big difference,"" he said. ""The people here are understanding and thoughtful and this is a great difference.\