Giuliani's popularity opens doors

It seems so long ago, but remember Bill Clinton? Love or hate him, all of us speculated about his post-presidential future. Youthful and savvy, we wondered what this man would do for an encore after winning the ultimate political prize (following a requisite stint on the lecture circuit and writing his memoirs)? Some said movie executive, others a Congressional run and still more speculated about a bid for mayor of New York City.  

Now it's the outgoing mayor of New York City we wonder about. After a close election, voters in New York City have elected a new leader, Republican media mogul Michael Bloomberg, to replace the man dubbed \America's Mayor,"" Hizzoner Rudolph Giuliani. He's also ""America's Most Eligible Political Bachelor"" and the country wants to know how he will spend his sizable political capital.  

Eric Lipton of The New York Times asked friends of the current mayor about possible endeavors. The answers included celebrity law partner, CEO, highly paid public speaker and future political candidate, perhaps New York governor, senator or even mayor again. Sounds a lot like what Friends of Bill mentioned last year. Let's face it'Rudy is the new Clinton. But unlike Bill, Giuliani leaves office almost universally admired. He has provided a model image of courage, wisdom and strength to many, both in and out of New York. Now, amidst the post-election fervor are cries of, ""Rudy, we hardly knew thee?"" 

Tragedy either makes amnesiacs of us or prompts us to forgive past transgressions of those who now display greatness. There was a time not so long ago that Rudy was not widely regarded as a modern saint. First, there was criticism of the way he handed city policy'allegations of police brutality, racial profiling, throwing homeless people in jail, etc. Then marital problems threatened his Boy Scout reputation. 

But now, Rudy is hero to all. To say that his future is wide open is an understatement. To keep himself in the public eye and to strengthen his position as political heavyweight, he will now be playing three roles: sage, fund-raiser and heir apparent. 

Arguably the nation's second most popular person after Dubya, people now listen to Giuliani with rapt attention. With a tight race going into Election Day, television spots with Rudy gave Bloomberg the edge over Democrat Mark Green. Starting this week, ads nationwide will feature Rudy beckoning tourists and their pocketbooks to the City. Giuliani is scheduled to publish two books by 2004'one motivational, the other autobiographical. Public speaking appearances abound. Most likely he will be appointed to key commissions that will determine the course of New York City's future, including heading a corporation that would chart Lower Manhattan redevelopment. Additionally, universities and think tanks may court Rudy, a celebrity who could strengthen their stable with a widely admired pragmatist.  

Giuliani displayed tremendous fund-raising savvy during his 2000 U.S. Senate bid. In the few months before he left the campaign, Giuliani raised $9.2 million. The remaining monies have mostly gone into the coffers of congressional campaigns including a $425,000 gift to the National Republican Senatorial Committee. It's a simple equation: Rudy's star power + post-mayoral unemployment ' the pesky criticism following most politicians = a moneymaking behemoth for Republicans in 2002. Don't be surprised to see Rudy as the guest of honor at $1,000-a-plate dinners in key congressional districts. Keep in mind that with the current recession and glut of donations to Sept. 11 victims, frugality will keep political donations down. Giuliani, the civic hero of Sept. 11, could spark donations from those who see answering Rudy's plea as a direct way of giving back to someone who gave so much of himself. Additionally, Rudy's newfound ability to court independents and Democrats (Everyone from Sen. Hillary Clinton to Woody Allen to Oprah praises him.) might attract untraditional sources of money to Republican causes.  

Rudy wants a political encore; otherwise he wouldn't have run for Senate last year. Although Giuliani won't seek political office before 2004, he seems destined for the big leagues and could throw his hat into another Senate race, possibly a run for governor (if George Pataki seeks another position) or an appointment in the Bush administration. Giuliani could challenge Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), who courted New York City to win in 1994, but lost conservative voters upstate. Giuliani, capitalizing on his new mystique, would win support from adoring city voters, yet still maintain the conservatives. Giuliani could also be appointed by Bush to a high-profile role before the 2004 election, attracting a contingent of voters who might support Bush because they hold Rudy in high esteem (this strategy would be most effective in New York itself, a state Bush lost last time and could help him secure the presidency in 2004). Speculation continues about a plan to replace Dick Cheney with a younger, more moderate vice president. Giuliani's name now pops up as a possible Cheney replacement, amid White House denials. While this scenario seems highly implausible (as someone who has no experience outside city politics, Rudy becoming vice president seems absurd), but as a moderate Republican, a national hero and a brilliant fund-raiser, nothing can be ruled out for the man who, had the law allowed, would have been Mayor for Life.