Council delays vote on workplace smoking ban

A ban on smoking in the common areas of multi-unit apartment buildings gained approval from the Madison City Council at its meeting Tuesday. 

\Everyone should have a right to not have smoke in hallways and laundromats since they can smoke in their apartments,"" said Ira Sharenow of Tobacco Control. 

Another new ordinance that would prohibit smoking in places of employment, buildings to which the public has access, child care facilities and educational facilities was referred by the Council to its next meeting after a lengthy discussion.  

""Public health has a responsibility to protect clean indoor air in all workplaces. The local Tobacco Free Dane County Commission supports any ordinance that would protect clean air,"" said Renae Sieling of Tobacco Free Dane County. 

Sharenow suggested that the proposal would rollback current smoking regulations. 

""This ordinance would repeal the no-smoking bans in restaurants. We need to close all the loopholes in tobacco regulation,"" Sharenow said. ""Smoking should not be allowed in any workplace; second-hand smoking harms everyone."" 

Assistant City Attorney Sally Probasco said there was no validity to Sharenow's statement about the ordinance's effect on restaurants. 

""The sponsors of this bill have no desire to go backwards,"" Probasco said. ""The ordinance is trying to clarify public places as not just open to the public but as places of employment."" 

Taverns would be exempt from the proposed ban on workplace smoking. 

The proposal to prohibit smoking in public places was referred to the next Council meeting because of uncertainty among Council members about the wording of the measure. 

""I would have liked to have seen the bill adopted, but I am pleased that they will have more time to become comfortable with the bill and its wording,"" Madison Mayor Sue Bauman said. 

When asked about the chances of the proposal passing at the next council meeting, Council President Gary Poulson, District 20, said he believed that the bill would narrowly pass.  

""I think it will pass,"" he said. ""But I don't expect more than 12 affirmative votes for it."" 

In other council business the downtown Madison Business Improvement District, which aims to bring more shoppers to State Street, was renewed for another year.