Meaning, history of pledge show America’s strength

I never recited the Pledge of Allegiance in school. In fact, I never got the chance to recite the pledge. I never had a teacher who felt it necessary to start each day with a reaffirmation of American values. I don't think this represents a deficiency in patriotism but rather an emphasis on other ways of learning patriotism. 

I never complained. I would rather learn about the values of America as embodied in our Constitution, government institutions and history. Memorizing a pledge and saluting a flag are simply not that important. Little did I know that by ignoring the Pledge of Allegiance, I was missing an important lesson in American history. 

Most people probably don't know the origin of the modern pledge. Francis Bellamy, a Baptist minister who lived from 1855 to 1931, is credited with writing most of the pledge. Bellamy was a controversial minister in his time because he was also a prominent socialist. He believed the federal government should take a more active role in controlling the U.S. economy, ensuring that wealth was distributed equally. Although not as radical as Marx, Bellamy would probably still have been branded a communist if he had lived to see the 1950s and Sen. Joseph McCarthy. 

Bellamy wrote the pledge in 1892 for a Boston school district that wanted words to accompany a flag-raising ceremony at the beginning of each day. Originally, the pledge only included these words: 'I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the Republic for which it stands'one nation indivisible'with liberty and justice for all.' Reflecting upon this part of the pledge, Bellamy said he would have included 'equality,' but concluded, 'No, that would be too fanciful, too many thousands of years off in realization.' 

The pledge is supposed to be accompanied by a salute to the flag. Since 1892, the salute had typically been one hand on the heart and the other hand extended out toward the flag. After World War II, the salute fell out of favor. Making every school in the nation use a salute that looked a little too much like Adolf Hitler's familiar gesture probably invoked too many painful comparisons.  

How did the pledge acquire the more controversial wording 'under God'? President Eisenhower was instrumental in passing legislation in 1954 that changed the wording to reflect what he thought was a need to include a religious theme. Eisenhower was supported by the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic organization which had decided to undertake an 'Americanism' campaign to rid U.S. schools of anti-American activities. Remember, at this time in American history, anti-Americanism was an accusation with enormous consequences. The Knights of Columbus looked at the atheism of the Soviet Union and thought by adding God, the pledge would become more 'American.' 

Now, the Wisconsin Legislature has passed a bill requiring all state school districts to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every day. I doubt most legislators understand the historical symbolism of the pledge. Its words embody all of the major struggles that have made this country what it is. Its creator was a socialist who criticized the capitalist economy of the late 19th century for promoting the interests of the rich above everything else. The reference to the 'Republic' is in remembrance of the Civil War and the battle over states' rights. The absence of equality is a reminder of the American civil rights movement and the ongoing struggle to make the Declaration of Independence's words 'all men are created equal' a reality. Just as the presence of 'under God' represents a debate over the meaning of 'freedom of religion.' 

I doubt the repetition of the Pledge of Allegiance alone will make Wisconsin's students understand the amazing history of the United States. Perhaps the Legislature should consider tacking on an amendment to the bill requiring that once a week students learn about what the pledge's words truly represent. We could start with why a Baptist, socialist minister wrote the words to the pledge in the first place. Although I'm not familiar with Bellamy's personal history, my guess is he understood that above all, America is not about what it repeats in its classrooms every morning. It is about the constant struggle to define freedom, equality and justice for all in an increasingly diverse society. That a socialist outcast (Bellamy was eventually kicked out of the Baptist church) was able, or willing, to write the words that now represent American patriotism proves the strength of this nation.