Ed Thompson discusses political ideas, plans for gubernatorial race

Ed Thompson, brother of former Gov. Tommy Thompson, Libertarian candidate for governor in 2002, and mayor of Tomah, Wis., visited Memorial Union Thursday. The Daily Cardinal had a chance to conduct a short interview with Thompson about his political history, his views and his famous brother. 

What encouraged you to run for governor? 

What inspired me to run was, the supper club I own in Tomah was raided for four video poker machines and 43 taverns in the county were raided at the same time, directed by Attorney General James Doyle, and I was furious about it and I fought it in court, but they couldn't find enough people for a nonbiased jury and they had to throw it out. And I thought, if they can raid taverns for something as insignificant as nickel machines, I'm going to get involved in this. And so I worked very hard to get the law changed ... and brought it about and then I ran for mayor of the city of Tomah ... and I won. I was planning on being there for a while and then Tommy moved on to Washington, D.C., with President Bush, and I'm so sick of the Republicrats that I thought it was time to make a move.  

In addition to gambling, do you have any other issues that you feel strongly about? 

I feel very strongly about the incredibly failed war on drugs that we're wasting so much money on. ... We're spending half a billion dollars a year on building prisons, keeping nonviolent people. ... It's time that we take a hard, serious look at the nonviolent people in prisons and get them out. 

What kind of a role do you expect your brother to play in your administration, if any? 

None. Absolutely none. Tommy's a Republican and he'll die a Republican. I love him as a brother and I'm sure if I wanted advice on anything I could go that route, but I haven't asked him for advice in the last 56 years. I don't know why I'd start now.