City News

Madison teacher placed on leave after racist remarks to student

A middle school science teacher was placed on leave after making threatening racial comments to an African American student. 

A Madison Metropolitan School District teacher was put on indefinite leave Nov. 1 after allegedly calling a middle school student by a racial slur, according to MMSD officials.

The student’s mother told Madison365 that, in response to a conversation between students late Wednesday, the science teacher repeatedly said, “How would you like it if I called you a n——?”

The student is the only African American in that class, her mother said. She has not returned to school since the incident.

“What am I supposed to do as a mother?” the student’s mother said. “I can’t keep her in that environment where she doesn’t even feel safe.”

The teacher who made the remarks was immediately placed on a temporary leave, pending an investigation into the allegations made against them.

“The assistant principal and the principal [were] very apologetic,” the student’s mother said. “They kept apologizing. They said that the teacher obviously admitted it. I think she said she was trying to teach [my daughter] something. [I’m] trying to figure out how calling someone a racial slur could ever teach them anything.”