The university’s student chapter of the National Agri-Marketing Association was awarded first place at the NAMA Student Marketing Competition last week.

UW-Madison agriculture club wins marketing national championship

If you think UW-Madison’s athletics are the only teams winning championships, you’re wrong.

The university’s student chapter of the National Agri-Marketing Association was awarded first place at the NAMA Student Marketing Competition last week. The competition, held in Kansas City, Mo., featured 30 teams from across the U.S. and Canada.

Guided by UW-Madison faculty member Sarah Botham, the team has earned nine top-four finishes in the competition over the past 14 years. In fact, last week’s win was the team’s second first-place finish in the last four years. Twenty-two students from a variety of majors within UW-Madison’s College of Agriculture and Life Sciences worked alongside Botham.

For the competition, the team prepared a 20-minute presentation for an original agricultural product, as well as a full marketing plan. UW-Madison’s team worked with two Wisconsin businesses to help create a ready-to-drink thickened wine for people who struggle with swallowing disorders. Swallow Solutions, a UW-Madison research company, provided their patented technology to help make the new drink possible. The marketing team also worked with Botham Vineyards of Barneveld, Wis.

Alison Wedig, a UW-Madison senior and team member, said the group chose a “unique product” that focused both on returning value to a producer of the product, as well as solving a problem for individuals with swallowing disorders.

“The best part was watching my team learn together and have the chance to see our hard work pay off as we presented, confidently answered questions and were recognized with first place honors,” Wedig said.