UHS now allows patients to access contraceptives after phone consultation. 

UHS to offer workshops geared toward breaking down taboos on reproductive health

In an effort to raise awareness for campus contraception resources, University Health Services and a student organization are working together on a series of contraceptive workshops slated to take place next month.

The workshop will feature Liz Falk-Hansen, a medical practitioner from UHS’ Womens Health Clinic. Falk-Hansen will be available to answer students’ questions about different contraceptive methods and access to reproductive health resources offered through both UHS and the Accessible Reproductive Healthcare Initiative, a student-led initiative.

“[The workshop] provides an open place for students to come and get some information about contraceptives, whether that be oral contraceptives or things like that. We want to also be a bit of an open Q&A,” said Hailey Milakovich, a member of ARHI. “[Students] have an opportunity to ask questions that they might feel like they could get a better answer from a nurse practitioner without necessarily having to make an appointment to come in.”

ARHI seeks to provide students opportunities to learn more about contraceptives and the sexual health and reproductive services they offer in tandem with UHS.

The workshop aims to provide a space that is open to students who may otherwise fear discussing reproductive health openly, according to Milakovich.

“Sometimes they make [reproductive health] a taboo thing to talk about,” Milakovich said. “So, a lot of people don’t realize how much they have available to them on campus.”

It will also provide a wealth of knowledge to students that did not get the opportunity to discuss sexual health while in high school, according to Kelly Barnd, a member of ARHI’s Public Relations and Communications Committee.

“Right now, at least, in the district I came from in Kenosha, we didn’t get virtually any sexual education,” Barnd said. “We’re seizing that opportunity, aiming the event at freshmen, but it’s open to anyone one who would like to come and to include some of that information, as well.”

The event is open to all students, no matter their gender identity. Milakovich said the event aims to be inclusive for all people who menstruate or have the potential to become pregnant. The event will be welcoming for those who may not feel comfortable entering a women’s health clinic due to their gender identity.

The workshop will provide an opportunity for students to understand what both UHS and ARHI offer on campus and hopes to stress the importance of making those resources available to all students, according to Barnd and Milakovich.

“From our perspective, it’s important just to know what your resources are. Our services are free, [but] I don’t know if students are aware of that. I suppose that’s an outcome that we’re looking for, is just to make people more aware of what’s available on campus, free of charge,” Barnd said.

ARHI consists of many committees, including large-scale political advocacy and local event promotion. They are also currently promoting their Bleeding Love program, which collects menstrual products for local women in need of such items, according to Barnd and Milakovich.

The group will place collection bins around campus. Cash donations are also accepted. The products will be offered for free to individuals on campus and in local homeless shelters.