Regents to propose non-resident tuition hike at three schools

Three UW System schools might have a tuition increase for their non-resident and graduate students.

Despite an ongoing tuition freeze for in-state students, the UW System regents are proposing increases for non-resident and graduate students that would raise tuition by hundreds of dollars at UW-Milwaukee, UW-Eau Claire and UW-Stout.

The proposed tuition hikes would generate more than $186,000 for the three schools, the Wisconsin State Journal reported.

At UW-Eau Claire, non-resident undergraduate tuition would increase by $355. Graduate non-resident students would face an increase of $430.

This would go toward funding programs that give high school students more access to college classes, providing more resources for student advising, creating more opportunities for nontraditional students and providing additional research opportunities.

While UW-Eau Claire student body vice president Nick Webber said he is happy that the proposed plans “align well with the [university’s] mission to provide quality opportunities for education at Eau-Claire,” he said he did not support the potential tuition increases.

“I can never really support tuition increases,” Webber said. “It seems as though the burden of costs has shifted away from the institution to the backs of the students.”

After the state’s 2017-’19 biennial budget extended the four-year freeze on in-state undergraduate students at all UW schools, the budget allowed the regents to set rates for non-residents, graduate students and professional school students.

Webber said he was frustrated by the lack of funding from the UW System itself, preferring that there be more direct funding in the programs themselves instead of increasing the students’ tuition.

Under the regents’ proposal, graduate students at UW-Milwaukee’s Lubar School of Business would see an increase of $539 per year.

The increase would be less at UW-Stout, where students would pay $296 more for non-resident graduate tuition. Minnesotans who pay less under the reciprocity agreement would have a hike of $157, while non-resident graduate students who participate in the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP) will have their tuition increase by $166.

The Board of Regents’ Finance Committee plans to vote on the proposal Thursday. If passed, the proposal will go before the entire body for a final vote. The tuition changes would then go into effect for next school year.

In the meantime, Webber said he will voice his opinion to the committee about the proposal.