Assembly Session, Right to work, Budget 2015

Madison Democrat continues push for free feminine hygiene products

Feminine hygiene products would be provided free of charge in state-run buildings as well as become tax-free under a pair of bills from state Rep. Melissa Sargent.

Sargent, a Madison Democrat and consistent advocate for women’s healthcare, has introduced similar legislation in the past, arguing that menstrual hygiene constitutes a necessity, not a luxury.

“No one should have to miss work or school, or risk their health, or compromise their dignity, because they menstruate,” Sargent said in an op-ed in the Cap Times in 2015, during her first legislative effort on the matter. “The ability to manage this normal bodily function is a necessity, not an entitlement or privilege. Anyone who has ever had a period will tell you just how necessary feminine products are, and it can be an urgent, unexpected need.”

Similarly to 2015, the pair of bills have garnered little momentum and are unlikely to gain any traction at all in the Republican-dominated Legislature.

The proposals mirror efforts on UW-Madison’s campus, where students have spent years advocating for the free provision of menstrual products.

Unlike counterpart measures in the Legislature, student efforts culminated in a pilot program to evaluate the efficacy of such a service, which is still in progress today.