Business school dean Massey resigns after one semester

Anne Massey, dean of UW-Madison’s Wisconsin School of Business — who proposed the plan to suspend admissions to the full-time Master of Business Administration Program degree for one year — is stepping down and will instead teach in the spring.

In an email sent out to students, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Sarah Mangelsdorf told students that Senior Associate Dean for Faculty and Research Barry Gerhart will be leading the school starting Dec. 31 when Massey’s resignation takes effect.

Mangelsdorf said the search for a permanent dean will begin in fall 2018. 

“With a period of transition ahead, we want to both thank our students, faculty and staff, along with alumni, friends and other stakeholders for their deep and dedicated support of WSB,” Mangelsdorf said. “We remain committed to maintaining excellence at the Wisconsin School of Business as a critical component of UW-Madison’s pursuit of research and learning.”

Earlier in the semester, Massey’s proposed plan for the full-time MBA caused uproar from current students and alumni who were not consulted. However, after hearing from students and alumni, the school announced that it would not suspend the program.

“Chancellor Rebecca Blank and Provost Mangelsdorf have reiterated their commitment to developing a vision for the Wisconsin School of Business that will grow from the collaborative strategic planning process focused on expanding and building new programs and strengthening the full-time MBA program,” Mangelsdorf said. “This process will continue alongside the search for a new dean and will include input and consultation with governance and stakeholders.”

Massey, who will be teaching in the Operations and Information Management Department in the spring, said in a statement that her vision for the business school hadn’t changed since March when she first visited.

“I have realized that my vision for the School differs from Chancellor Blank’s,” Massey said. “It is my sincere desire that she have the opportunity to ensure that her vision is implemented. By resigning I will allow that process to unfold.”