UW-Madison’s College Democrats and College Republicans were joined by Veterans, Educators and Traditional Students (VETS) for a 9/11 memorial on Bascom Hill Monday.

College Republicans, Democrats come together for 9/11 memorial

The College Democrats and College Republicans of UW-Madison are used to sparring over issues like free speech, the state’s biennial budget and the role of government. But Monday, the 16th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attack, was different.

The two groups came together Monday morning to plant flags on Bascom Hill, honoring the thousands who died in the 2001 terrorist event. Veterans, Educators and Traditional Students (VETS) joined them for the event, placing flags and reading the names of the victims.

It’s a yearly tradition that College Republicans Communications Director Emelia Rohl said represents “an effort to set aside political differences and work together to remember the victims of 9/11.”

“In a time where we’ve seen so much division in our country, it’s amazing to see us all come together, not as Democrats or Republicans, but as people, as Americans,” Rohl said in a statement. “It’s so important that we remember not only the victims of 9/11, but also our country’s resilience in the face of tragedy.”

Claudia Koechell, the College Democrats’ press secretary, echoed her counterpart’s sentiment, stressing the importance of honoring “the victims, survivors, families, and heroes that were affected by the attacks.”

“9/11 truly changed our country, and just like we stood together as one nation 16 years ago, we stood together as one today to recognize those lost,” Koechell said. “In times like these, we must work together across partisan lines and come together for a noble cause.”