Blank to increase sustainability conversations this year

UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank said administration will highlight sustainability efforts more this academic year in her blog post Wednesday.

Research efforts are impacting sustainability on campus, Blank said. About $350 million in outside funding is going toward the 200 ongoing research projects on sustainability and environmental studies. This largest federal grant “focuses on alternative ways to generate renewable fuels.”

“Progress on sustainability requires new knowledge about how to increase the use of renewable energy, how to develop more sustainable technologies, and how to mitigate the environmental effects of past harmful practices,” Blank said.

Collaborators from different academic disciplines are working together to analyze how humans impact the environment through climate change. Through the UW-Madison Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment in the Nelson Institute, the researchers are also looking to manage the earth’s natural resources and maintain good human health.

Additionally, the environmental research is vital to Wisconsin’s rich nature, which it is known for, Blank said.

“We are deeply involved in research on agriculture and wilderness/water areas in the state of Wisconsin, helping farmers and property owners understand how to reduce runoff, keep Wisconsin’s lakes healthy, and preserve the environment that makes this state so attractive to those who live and play here,” Blank said.