Eight academic staff—including Roger Brown, a statistician and clinical professor in the School of Nursing—will be honored by Chancellor Rebecca Blank with 2017 Academic Staff Excellence Awards.

Eight UW-Madison staff members honored with awards

Eight UW-Madison academic staff are being honored for their contributions to UW-Madison—including studies on unconscious bias in hiring—with 2017 Academic Staff Excellence Awards. Chancellor Rebecca Blank will present the awards.

“As these awards richly illustrate, our academic staff members are scientists and scholars, communicators and creators, managers and mentors,” Blank said in a news release.

Karen Solheim was recognized with the Chancellor’s Hilldale Award for Excellence in Teaching for her work as a clinical professor in the UW-Madison School of Nursing. She co-founded International Partners in Education Inc., an organization that provides opportunities for girls orphaned by AIDS in Malawi to attend school. She offers her students opportunities to work in public health abroad.

Eve Fine, an associate scientist for the Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Institute will also be honored. Fine’s work on unconscious bias is used by hiring committees to promote diversity in UW-Madison faculty.

Blank praised the recognized staff in the release.

“They inspire our students, strengthen the work of their colleagues, educate the world and ensure that the mission of this institution never falters,” Blank said.