Report shows decline in employees on UW System campuses

UW System schools employ the equivalent of 830 fewer full-time staff members compared to October 2014, according to a report submitted Thursday to the state’s Joint Finance Committee.

The report, submitted by the system annually, shows the changes in full-time equivalent positions at each of the state’s 26 public colleges and universities, as well as UW-Extension and the UW System’s offices.

UW-Madison actually saw an increase of roughly 200 jobs since October 2014. The report attributed that rise to more roles which are funded by non-state revenue, including grants, contracts or the athletic department.

Despite the slight increase, UW-Madison instituted a hiring freeze after cuts to the UW System in the 2015-’16 biennial budget. The freeze prevents it from filling many vacant positions.

Other schools saw significant decreases in staffing. UW-Milwaukee saw almost 400 FTE positions trimmed and almost 200 positions were eliminated at UW-Eau Claire.

UW-Eau Claire announced last year that they would be forced to cut 15 percent of their staff because of a decrease in state funding.

The UW System administration saw a slight decrease from 92 employees to 80. UW-Extension, however, saw a small increase of nine positions.