Wisconsin Women's Soccer

Wisconsin faces its toughest test thus far against Big Ten-leading Minnesota. 

Wisconsin takes on Minnesota in border battle

After starting Big Ten competition 1-2-1, the Badgers are ready, and eager, to enter Minneapolis and leave victorious against their border rivals. 

Coming off a close game in Bloomington against the Hoosiers this past Sunday, Wisconsin is looking to snag a Big Ten victory Saturday at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium.

Wisconsin is riding high after big games from freshman defensemen Payton Wesley, who found the back of the net once while adding an assist against Purdue in a 3-1 victory. Senior midfielder Rose Lavelle also played well, assisting on one goal versus Purdue and netting one of her own in the 3-2 loss to Indiana. 

Minnesota has started Big Ten play 3-0 and holds on to a commanding undefeated home record. But the Gophers are going to be anticipating a tough game against the young, stingy Badgers team.

One thing to focus on for the Badgers is redshirt junior goalkeeper Caitlyn Clem. After posting four shutouts, two back-to-back, the Badgers are hoping Clem will get back on track and limit the Gophers strong attack. 

Holding Minnesota’s offense will not be an easy task, though, considering the Gophers are coming off a two-game road sweep and lead the Big Ten in points, goals and assists.
This will be the Badgers toughest contest in the early Big Ten season. Their immediate goal will be counteracting Minnesota’s excitement from senior night, which will precede Saturday’s contest, with aggressive play right after the first whistle blows.

For Wisconsin, they will be leaning heavily on their main weapon Lavelle, who leads the team in points with two goals and three assists. On the opposite side, slowing down Lavelle will be the main focus for the Gophers defense. 

If the Badgers can come out of Minneapolis with a victory, they will head back home with a 2-2-1 record in conference play.

The game starts at 5:30 p.m. and be televised on BTN Plus.