Panelists discuss the role of religion in politics at a panel Thursday night at the High Noon Saloon.

Panelists explore role of religion in 2016 election

The intersection of religion and politics is a historic and controversial tradition in American discourse, and one given contemporary insight by a diverse panel of members of the faith community brought together by The Capital Times Thursday night.

“I was kind of hoping to think of a joke about everyone on this panel walking into a bar,” joked moderator and Cap Times reporter Jessie Opoien.

Faith has often been a galvanizing factor in American politics, from the scripture-charged battle against slavery, to the natural law-based defense of statewide same-sex marriage bans. Yet this election has created more controversy among religious Americans than most.

“The big divide you see now is that many millennial evangelicals are multiethnic, passionate about justice, and climate change … while with older generations, it was really centered around gay marriage and abortion,” said training pastor R.D. McClenagan of the Door Creek Church. “In our church we have people that support Donald Trump, and we have people who can’t understand people that support Donald Trump, and they sit next to each other every Sunday; I think that’s kind of beautiful.”

While the evangelical community remains divided, other communities of faith have been galvanized toward like-minded political action.

“In this environment of Islamophobia, it is very important for the muslim community to be heavily engaged and involved in the political process,” said Muslim entrepreneur Masood Akhtar.

Trump’s proposed ban on Muslim immigration into the U.S., which has since been altered into bans on travel from specific regions, has had a profound impact on the Muslim community.

“That’s where things changed,” said Akhtar, “We as a community, young, old, male, female, we all decided to fight against him.”

Though communities of faith may come to wildly differing conclusions in the realm of politics, Opoien concluded the discussion by asking for a reminder of each other’s common humanity, an uncontroversial tenet of every major religion.

“When we listen to each other, we come a lot farther when we try to recognize the values with which people are acting,” said UW-Madison journalism professor Mike Wagner. “It’s not that the other side is crazy and can’t be reasoned with, it’s just that they value different things.”

As the presidential election draws near, the debate over the direction of American values rages on.