Morton Forest is located in Mazomanie, in the western part of Dane County and is around a 40-minute drive from the UW-Madison campus, according to Google Maps.

New hiking area opens 40 minutes from campus

Dane County opened Morton Forest, a new county park in Mazomanie, Monday .

The approximately 114-acre forest was created when Madison resident Stephen Morton donated his family’s estate to the county earlier this year, according to a Monday press release.

“Dane County has some of the most beautiful county parks in the nation,” Dane County Executive Joe Parisi said. “I want to thank Steve Morton for his generous donation that so many in Dane County will now be able to enjoy.”

Along with his donation of the property, Morton also gave the county a grant that will cover the maintenance of the forest through a $230,000 permanent endowment fund.

“I donated my land to Dane County Parks because I felt, given our expanding population, it was important to protect open space and create quiet places of solitude for people to visit as an escape from their more crowded urban environments,” Morton said.

Of this $230,000, $10,000 will be put into the forest each year to cover maintenance and operational expenses. Additionally, Morton has donated $15,000 to construct wooden overlook benches on the forest’s two highest peaks, according to the press release.

There will be timber frame shelters with seating at some overlook points, a small parking lot, a nature center and trails throughout the forest. Several types of activities, including cross country skiing, hiking and snowshoeing, will be possible in the new park.

The Dane County website states that there are no restrooms or water available at the site.