Borgmann, Badgers dispatch Hawkeyes on Senior Day

Wisconsin (3-2-2 Big Ten, 6-4-5 overall) showed their defensive dominance Sunday afternoon when they beat Iowa (1-6-0, 7-8-0) by a score of 1-0 on Senior Day at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

It was all Badgers from the moment the game began, with junior goaltender Caitlyn Clem often hanging around near midfield, rather than in the six-yard box, because the game was contained to the Hawkeyes’ zone.

Sophomore forward Emily Borgmann praised her teammates for preventing Iowa from creating chances.

“They put a lot of work in, and they were just like a brick wall out there, so props to them,” Borgmann said.

Wisconsin swept Iowa in every single statistical category except for saves. Most notably, the Badgers outshot the Hawkeyes 13-7, and Clem finished with two saves to Iowa’s four.

The lone goal of the game was scored in the 64th minute when Borgmann beat Iowa goaltender Claire Graves on a beautiful ball slotted across the frame. Borgmann’s team-leading fourth goal of the season was assisted by senior midfielder Micaela Powers.

Borgmann’s score ended the game in regulation, which has been rare for the Badgers as they have played five overtime games at home.

“I’m happy about how we closed the game out, which was something we haven’t done in the past,” head coach Paula Wilkins said. “Even with some changes we had to make in the back due to the injury [to sophomore defender Jamie Donohue], I thought people stepped up in different areas. I told my players the best way to recognize your seniors on senior day is to win, so it was nice to see that.”

Next up for the Badgers will be a two-game road trip to Michigan beginning Thursday at 6 p.m. and Michigan State Sunday at noon. The Michigan game will be televised on BTN Plus.