Freakfest 2015

Though thousands of people attended the 10th anniversary of Freakfest, Madison police only made 9 arrests. 

More than 34,000 people take on Freakfest

Though thousands of students and downtown residents convened along State Street for the annual Halloween festivities, police said they made no significant arrests.

The 10th annual Freakfest event brought more than 34,000 people dressed in various costumes.

Madison police arrested nine people, and only two of the nine went to jail, according to an incident report by Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain.

DeSpain wrote that most citations were for violating the city’s glass ban and having open intoxicants on the streets.

Police also said a drunken concealed carry permit holder attempted to enter the venue with a loaded handgun.

DeSpain reported no significant property damage. The most serious injury police reported involved a woman who broke her leg falling off a curb.

Many of the costumes reflected the year’s main cultural headlines, from Marty McFly, in commemoration of the recent anniversary of the day the character from “Back to the Future” made his journey, to GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump.

UW-Madison junior Brennan Beyer said he enjoyed the “fun and lively” atmosphere, as well as the creative costumes.

“I like that Freakfest brings people to Madison,” said Mary Morris, a UW-Madison senior who attended Freakfest for the fifth time this year. “I caught up with an old friend of mine I hadn’t seen in over two years.”

Morris said she was disappointed that event staff did not allow patrons back into the event earlier than previous years, which she said happened before 1 a.m.

“I wish it had been clearer that they were shutting down so early,” Morris said.

Freakfest capped off an eventful weekend for Madison police with a football game, two hockey games and a Broadway musical also happening over the weekend. Despite the events, State Street and the surrounding corridors opened up shortly after 3 a.m.