Wisconsin shaky in conference openers

Following a tough loss on the road against No. 4 Penn State Thursday, the Badgers fought their way to a scoreless tie against No. 20 Ohio State Sunday in their fourth double-overtime game of the season.

Wisconsin (0-1-1 Big Ten, 3-4-2 overall) fell short against the Nittany Lions (1-0-0, 6-1-1), losing 4-0 after trailing only by one at halftime.

The Badger offense, led by MAC Hermann Trophy candidate Rose Lavelle, who had five shots, including two on goal, was ultimately shut out. Wisconsin managed 11 total shots to Penn State’s 13.

Spearheading the defense, redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Caitlyn Clem came under frequent pressure throughout the match. Although Clem made four saves, a late two goals in the final 15 minutes concluded the game decisively in Penn State’s favor.

But while on the road in Columbus, Wisconsin stonewalled the Buckeyes (0-1-1, 3-4-3) to a 0-0 draw, clocking in 12 corner kick set pieces to Ohio’s seven, although trailing in shots on goal 6-5.

Referees issued three yellow cards to Wisconsin, while Ohio drew four offside calls over the 110-minute game.

Friday, the Badgers will challenge Indiana (0-0-2, 3-3-4) in their first Big Ten conference home game at McClimon Sports Complex, kicking off at 7 p.m.

"We're looking forward to returning home to our support and home crowd," Wisconsin head coach Paula Wilkins said. "Not being on a plane and traveling, we'll be able to really focus on things while home. We need more big-time plays from our players and are looking for some to step up."