Rath

The Rathskeller, which will remain open during the Memorial Union renovations, hosts open mic nights, among other shows. 

The sky's the limit when the price of admission is free

Now that school has started, it’s time to get serious about things like how to spend your free time and money wisely.

Enjoying free entertainment is all about knowing where to look, and what’s nice about this campus is that there is a smorgasbord of options for anything from free concerts and movies to arts and crafts.

On a Friday night when you’re looking for some live music, but your wallet is looking a little too empty to pay for a ticket to see a band you only kind of know at the Majestic or the Orpheum, just know the campus has some options—even if the Terrace is closed for the year.

So, here is a list of places that offer free, or mostly free, arts and entertainment events on the weekly.

Catch a flick

Every weekend, the Marquee on the second floor of Union South shows free movies including some that were just recently released, sing-along nights and classic favorites. In special cases—including next week with “The Visit”—the Marquee shows sneak previews of movies that are yet to be released in theaters.

This week WUD Film presents “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” with the first showing at 9:30 p.m. Thursday. They will also be showing “Ex-Machina” and “The Room.”

Dance at a concert

The Sett and Der Rathskeller at Union South and Memorial Union bring in bands and other entertainment events each weekend. Aside from the fact that the shows are free, what’s nice about this venue is the ability to discover new bands and music that maybe you never listened to before because you didn’t want to spend the money.

This is also an opportunity to get to know some of the local music scene. Plus at the end of the performance, there is almost always an opportunity to meet the band or artist.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="9d8c48a4-5115-11e5-80f2-331a8d54f38b"}}

Feeling crafty?

Wheelhouse Studios has its doors open for students to come and get creative. The art studio, located in Memorial Union, has a free craft any time during its open hours—and when the studio is not in use for a class—there is a simple project that takes about 20 minutes for anyone to come in and make.

Free Art Friday takes place the first Friday of each month, with a beginners craft in Der Rathskeller and a more intensive project in the studio.

There is equipment for pottery, metals, printing and more, and it is free to use so long as you know how. And if you don’t know how and would like to learn, Wheelhouse offers classes at an affordable price for students.

Peruse some art

The Chazen Museum of Art is the home of more than 200,000 paintings, sculptures, drawings, prints, photographs and decorative arts. Located next to Humanities, it’s the spot on campus to appreciate art.

It is also the home of Sunday Afternoon Live at the Chazen where a classical concert is held in the museum’s Brittingham Gallery III once a month. This Sunday, the Chazen will bring a quintet titled Black Marigold to the stage at 12:30 p.m.

Have a laugh

The Comedy Club on State, though not free, hosts Open Mic Night each Wednesday at 9 p.m. with $2 admission and $2 drink specials. This is when new comedians can sign up to show off their best jokes to the crowd.

Thursdays also offer half-priced admission to students with ID for College Night.

Check The Daily Cardinal each Thursday to find out what to do for entertainment in Madison each weekend. Hint: We like things that are free.