Hayley Young

Hayley Young, who engaged in politics as an undergraduate student, was chair of the College Democrats of UW-Madison. 

Recent UW grad declares candidacy for county board seat

Recent UW-Madison graduate Hayley Young launched a campaign Tuesday for the campus-area District 5 seat on the Dane County Board of Supervisors.

Young, who graduated last spring with a degree in political science and international studies, along with a certificate in gender and women’s studies, said she has deep roots in politics.

“I’ve been involved in electoral politics on campus pretty much ever since I came to college,” Young, who served as chair of the College Democrats of UW-Madison during her senior year, said. “I worked to empower students to make a difference through the political process.”

Young is looking to take the seat currently held by Leland Pan, a graduate student who was first elected in 2012 as a college sophomore. Pan indicated he will not seek re-election next year, citing a desire to have another student take on the role.

“I think it’s the kind of seat you want to hand over to new blood, not the kind of seat that should be used for a career or a stepping stone,” Pan said.  “I’ve always believed that the seat should cycle pretty frequently.”

Young said her priorities include a wide array of goals, such as increasing funding for safety resources like the Rape Crisis Center, providing opportunities for affordable housing and protecting the environment.

“In my experience on campus, everyone knows someone who has experienced sexual violence, and that’s just unacceptable,” Young said.

Despite the challenge of lower turnouts at local elections, Young hopes to introduce voters to their local government.

“Many people don’t know who their supervisor is and what they can do for them,” Young said. “I look at this as an opportunity to introduce folks to how local government can impact them.”

The election primaries are scheduled for Feb. 16 of next year, with the general election scheduled for April 5.