State Street

The 200 block of State Street features three of the best performance venues in Madison. 

Explore Madison’s diverse arts scene

While Madison is home to dozens of venues, these five combine the best atmosphere and acts

1. Overture Center

At the top of the 200 block of State Street lies the crown jewel of the Madison arts and entertainment scene. The Overture Center, which opened in September 2004, was a renovation and expansion of the former Madison Civic Center, and now houses seven different performance venues. The largest theater, Overture Hall, has been the stage for several touring Broadway musicals, as well as the Madison Symphony Orchestra. In addition to the various performance halls, the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art is located in the same building, with several galleries of rotating exhibits. With performances year-round, and student rush tickets almost always available, this is the perfect way to spend a Friday night or Sunday afternoon.

2. Majestic Theatre

With its prime location on King St., the Majestic Theatre is the oldest theater in Wisconsin, having opened in December 1906. Started as a vaudevillian theater, the Majestic now showcases some of the biggest names in music. The constantly rotating schedule of events makes the Majestic one of Madison’s premiere concert venues, with artists of varying genres and notoriety. Since new investors acquired the theater in 2007, the Majestic has refashioned itself and now offers an even wider variety of shows. Near the end of the summer, Live on King Street, a weekly concert series, has sprung up, and at times draws thousands of spectators to concerts outside of the Majestic. If you love EDM shows, hard rock concerts or experimental folk, the Majestic always offers something unique each weekend.

3. Orpheum Theater

Built in 1926, the Orpheum Theater has one of the most recognizable marquees in all of Madison. The towering sign over the 200 block of State Street beckons travelers into the large, ornate atrium and massive performance hall. With ornate crown moulding around the stage, elegant chandeliers and expansive seating, it’s a little jarring to then see a punk rock band performing on stage with the accompanying mosh pit nearby. But, in actuality, this is what makes the Orpheum one of the most unique theaters I’ve attended. The fixtures and construction, reminiscent of its Golden Age history, adds an enticing contrast to the variety of bands, comedians and performers that electrify the audience. With its accessibility from campus, and wide berth of acts, students, both young and old, will always have a place in one of the plush seats in the Orpheum. 

4. Comedy Club

Looking for a laugh? Want to try a different kind of performance other than a musical or concert? Then head over to the Comedy Club, nestled on State Street across from the Overture Center. In the style of a classic comedy house, this underground bar and performance venue hosts numerous local and national acts. Last fall, the Comedy Club helped to host the first Madison Comedy Festival, which brought in acts like Margaret Cho, Nick Offerman and John Hodgman. While high-profile acts will make the venue fill up, it’s the perfect spot to showcase the talent of Madison, as well as see famous comedians, both young and old. 

5. High Noon Saloon

Down East Washington Avenue, a brick building stands tall among the industrial plants of the near east side. The High Noon Saloon features bands that span multiple genres, both up-and-coming and storied acts. The venue features a large stage, an open, multi-level viewing area and bar, allowing for a one-stop shop for the night. While the bar is a trek from campus, it’s easily accessible on the bus lines, and helps to break up the monotony of the basic Friday night on campus.

Honorable Mentions: Barrymore Theatre, Bartell Theatre, The Sett