UW-Madison students impart fears of proposed budget to state Legislature

In their matching gray #SaveOurUW T-shirts, members of the Associated Students of Madison traveled to the Joint Finance Committee hearing Thursday to vocalize their concerns over Gov. Scott Walker’s proposed state budget.

Held in the auditorium of the Reedsburg Area High School, the state Legislature’s budget committee heard statements from nearly 300 attendants surrounding the impacts of the proposed budget.

Currently the budget would place a $300 million cut to the UW System and also make it a public authority model, removing shared governance and tenure from state statute.

“It would be impossible for me to list all of the ways the proposed budget cuts will negatively impact my student experience and the student experiences of others on my campus,” ASM Chair Gen Carter said to the committee.

UW-Madison sophomore Jia Gonitzke addressed the committee with fears that the proposed budget could cut diversity programs on campus.

“I ask the Joint Finance Committee that they do not allow UW-Madison to have public authority, and that they treat the legal requirement for the recruitment programs for minority and disadvantaged students,” Gonitzke said.

Other ASM members who did not attend the hearing submitted written testimony to the state Legislature, describing the negative impact the proposed budget could have on the UW System.

Throughout the semester ASM members have worked on various lobbying campaigns including trips to the state Capitol, writing letters to legislators and reaching out to UW-Madison alumni.

“I think the main thing is to show that we’re there, we’re paying attention, that we have major concerns and to make our voices as loud as possible,” Carter said. “There’s so many other ways to try to do advocacy, but this is one of the most public ways we can show what we want. Even though it’s not always the most directly effective, it’s more of us just being there and having that visibility.”