Action Project: Making a more sustainable future the priority

What can we do to ensure a blueprint for tomorrow? Create a GREENprint. And by that we mean environmentally sustainable plans that will propel us into a prosperous future.

Ensuring the future of our planet is a global issue, but The Daily Cardinal wanted to delve into the topic on a local and individual level, from initiatives going on within the university, the city of Madison and Dane County. With Earth Day this week, it seemed like a perfect time to explore the idea of sustainability. What we found is that individuals in the community are already creating change for the better, but there’s always more that can be done.

To have the greatest positive effect on the environment, change needs to start at a grassroots level. These results can come from being aware of composting services in the city to becoming actively involved in the Associated Students of Madison Green Fund program.

As members of the Madison community, we need to take personal responsibility for how our actions affect our world. The state of the environment as well as personal attitudes toward sustainable actions are a result of a combination of individual decisions. As a community, we need to be informed about how the choices we make on a daily basis affect the long-term health of the environment.

While this issue delves into a variety of issues and ways to become more environmentally sustainable, we want to hear your thoughts on the state of the environment, specifically sustainable issues affecting UW-Madison and the surrounding community. Are there specific measures you take to reduce your carbon footprint? Do you actively take steps to minimize your potentially long-lasting effect on the environment? Join in the conversation by emailing actionproject@dailycardinal.com or tweeting at #dcactionproject.

As The Daily Cardinal staff completes the final installment of the Action Project series, we would like to give a huge thanks to our staff and all who contributed to each of the Action Project editions, especially our features editor Melissa Howison, for embracing this series and making it impactful. This is one of the highlights of the year for us at the Cardinal, and we hope the project has had a positive, influential impact on campus.

We hope that you as readers have had a chance to delve into topics facing the UW-Madison campus community as much as we have. Creating change in any area—campus climate, the state of higher education and environmental sustainability—comes first from starting conversations.

We hope that you will continue to join in these discussions with fellow Badgers to foster debate and hopefully create possible solutions to issues affecting the UW-Madison community. Speak out and be a part of the change.

The Daily Cardinal would like to acknowledge the charitable arm of The Capital Times for providing the funds to make the Action Project series possible. Let us know what you think by emailing actionproject@dailycardinal.com or tweeting at #dcactionproject. The Action Project issue will be on stands all week. Please check dailycardinal.com for all daily news coverage.