John Horn 2.11.14

Director of Recreational Sports John Horn details the intended segregated fee increases under the proposed 2014-’15 budget, which would go toward facility improvements.

SSFC hears Rec Sports budget proposal, votes to support segregated fee usage bill

Associated Students of Madison Student Services Finance Committee heard a budget proposal from the Division of Recreational Sports and discussed a proposed segregated-fees bill at a meeting Monday.

SSFC is responsible for approving the allocation of student segregated fees to registered student organizations and non-academic campus departments.

Director of Recreational Sports John Horn presented a proposed student segregated-fee increase of $6 per student, a total budget request of $3,291,900.

According to Horn, this funding would cover immediate facility repair costs. The funding request stems largely from the aging nature of the facilities and relatively high costs for repairs and maintenance.

The increase comes ahead of a student referendum to vote on a proposed funding request of $108 per student, as part of the Rec Sports Master Plan. Horn said the current student segregated-fee funding for Rec Sports is $36.78 per student, which is below the Big Ten average of $145.

According to Horn, Rec Sports has the ability to offer services similar to other universities, but is limited by the condition of the current units.

“Where we are failing is in the facilities,” Horn said.

Horn noted that Rec Sports facilities and programs recorded 1.7 million visits in the past fiscal year, emphasizing the division’s impact on student recruitment and retention. He stated that even if the referendum fails, Rec Sports would still ensure that service is maintained on campus.

The committee also voted unanimously to back the resolution from ASM members on a proposed state bill that would grant students the power to review all segregated-fee usage. Currently, SSFC only has the power to make recommendations on the allocation of non-allocated funding.

SSFC Chair David Vines spoke in favor of the resolution, highlighting the importance of student oversight over all student segregated-fee usage. Vines highlighted current problems with funding procedures.

“The process is very problematic and is really [kind of] reflective of the reason [segregated] fees have increased so significantly over the past,” Vines said.

SSFC also voted unanimously to approve the University Health Services budget request of $13,154,240 for the next fiscal year.