‘Flushed’ with laughter

Hugh Jackman is on a roll, and he just might be Hollywood's poster boy of the year. Take that back, Hugh Jackman is Hollywood's poster boy of the year, no doubt about it. Since the summer release of ""X-Men: The Last Stand,"" Jackman has stepped away from his Wolverine persona and has taken on diverse roles. In his latest movie, ""Flushed Away,"" the public sees Jackman as it's never seen him before: as an animated mouse.  

Jackman plays Roddy, a pet mouse who resides in a posh Kensington flat. Roddy is living the high life, until a mangy sewer rat named Sid (Shane Richie) spews up from the sink and disturbs his bliss. Roddy attempts to get rid of Sid, but instead gets flushed down the toilet. He ends up in the sewers and encounters a society of rodents living underground. Roddy must find a way back up to his home aboveground, and in his attempt, he discovers that the world below isn't half bad. 

Along with Jackman, other notable actors such as Kate Winslet and Ian McKellen lend their voices to the film. Additionally, the creative team behind Oscar-winning ""Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit"" is back in action for ""Flushed Away."" While it is tempting to talk Oscars, especially with such a notorious cast and crew, ""Flushed Away"" is not about winning awards, but rather, the pure joy of entertaining, which the movie does successfully. 

Personifying the pet rodents and the sewer vermin is a creative way to add contrast to the already different rodent breeds, and it definitely enhances the story. As a pet living in a human home, Roddy is the epitome of class and high society. He is well-kept, clean and proper as opposed to Sid, whose disgusting vulgarity and lack of care clashes in Roddy's pristine environment.  

Roddy gets frazzled and freaks out after Sid disrupts his routine. Meanwhile, Sid makes himself at home, plopping his fat bottom on the spotless white couch, munching on junk food and watching soccer on TV, without any sense of courtesy. Sid is the quintessential couch potato. The rodents are given stereotypical personalities that are by no means complex, but this works well especially for a younger audience. The easily identifiable roles also add to the comedic element of the movie. 

Roddy's adventure in the sewer is also amusing, as his wide-eyed ignorance often lands him in sticky situations. While in the sewer, Roddy learns that material possessions are not the key to happiness, and the world beyond his luxurious abode isn't such a scary place after all. 

The depiction of the sewer is fascinating and not at all like the sewers that we are used to seeing. There's an actual city in the sewer, with buildings made of discarded junk and creatures walking up and down the street. The sewer world is vibrant and busy, while Roddy's uptown world is monotonous and idle. Also worth noting are the squealing and singing slugs, as they seem to pop out in the most random times. ""Flushed Away"" is definitely a success and doesn't need an Oscar-nod or the voice talent of this year's poster boy to affirm it. ""Flushed Away"" is a funny, lighthearted comedy that the whole family will enjoy.