Cieslewicz Madison's new mayor

Tuesday's general election for Madison mayor played out much like the primary, with newcomer Dave Cieslewicz defeating former mayor Paul Soglin by a narrow margin. 

The vote broke down 51 percent to 49 percent in favor of Cieslewicz. 

\I promise both [Soglin and Madison Mayor Sue Bauman] I will leave the city in better condition than I found it,"" Cieslewicz said to a cheering crowd in his victory speech just about two hours after the polls closed. ""Tonight it is a new era."" 

Cieslewicz reiterated the importance of issues on which he campaigned throughout the past few months, such as creating more affordable housing, ending sprawl, protecting the environment and working with other units of government to control property taxes. 

Surrounded by hundreds of rejoicing supporters, Cieslewicz acknowledged the importance of the student vote in Tuesday's victory, as some of the campus wards were the first to be reported with victories for him.  

""There really were some issues that were important to students,"" he said.  

During his concession speech, Soglin said he wished the best for Cieslewicz and the city, and he thanked his campaign staff and volunteers. 

""Since a week after the primary, this was the best campaign anyone's ever seen in this city,"" he said. ""We were down by over a dozen points and came back."" 

Madison Teachers' Inc. Representative John Matthews lamented Soglin's loss at his post-election party at the Angelic Brewing Company, 322 W. Johnson St. 

""Unfortunately, the people thought he was old-school,"" Matthews said. ""If Dave Cieslewicz is going to be successful, he's going to have to do what Soglin did [in the past]."" 

At the mayor-elect's celebration at Luther's Blues, 1401 University Ave., state Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, a supporter of Cieslewicz, reflected the excitement of the crowd. Cieslewicz had worked for Black for many years in the legislature. 

""I think Dave will lead the way to an urban renaissance in Madison,"" he said. ""He'll be a strong supporter of a city of affordable housing, a good environment and a good park system."" 

Some UW-Madison students also attended Cieslewicz's victory party to express their support.  

""Dave is going to work for students,"" UW-Madison senior Stephanie Byrnes said at the party. ""I'm really excited to see a candidate who's progressive and makes time to come to campus and meet and greet students and fight for student issues like minimum wage."" 

UW-Madison junior Jennifer Ginell agreed with her peer. 

""I feel like students will now have a voice in this community,"" she said. 

Cieslewicz will be inaugurated as Madison's mayor later this month.