Latest News

UW_Health.jpg

Organ transplant patients at UW Health must be vaccinated against COVID-19

COVID-19 was the leading cause of death for organ transplant patients at UW Health from January 2020 to October 2021.

Vaccine.jpg

UW System “70 for 70” vaccine campaign a success

Eleven of 12 participating schools hit the benchmark of having 70% of their students vaccinated. 

A nurse vaccinates an eligible Phase 1a recipient with the first of a two-dose shot of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine  

Wisconsin Department of Health Services begins rollout of COVID-19 vaccines for children

Clinics across Wisconsin are releasing vaccines to children as soon as next week. 

Hamel_Music_Center

The show must go on: UW-Madison classical musicians turn to technology

UW-Madison classical musicians have been tasked with finding new ways for students to collaborate, as the pandemic puts a halt on in-person performance.

Chancellor Rebecca Blank said Wednesday that her hopes were high that students would be able to return to campus in the fall.

Chancellor Blank lays out three-part COVID testing program to be used in the fall

UW-Madison will have a three-part testing program in place when students return to campus in the fall, according to Chancellor Rebecca Blank. 

Ron Johnson

Sen. Johnson suggests restrictions on bars may be necessary to prevent the spread of COVID

U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., said Wisconsin may need to consider more stringent regulations for bars going forward, expressing concern over the rising number of COVID-19 cases. 

News_Evers

State Supreme Court strikes down stay-at-home order

The Wisconsin State Supreme Court struck down Gov. Tony Evers’ ‘stay-at-home’ order in a 4-3 decision Wednesday, putting Wisconsin’s coronavirus response plan in the hands of the Legislature.

News_Evers.jpg

Evers reopens small businesses with restrictions

Effective immediately, Gov. Tony Evers announced Monday almost all non-essential Wisconsin businesses would re-open with restrictions as the state continues to enforce its 'safer-at-home' order.

News_RayCross.jpg

UW System prepares for academic program cuts, layoffs as financial losses mount

In anticipation of future financial losses related to the COVID-19 outbreak, UW System President Ray Cross directed campuses to cut academic programs and brace for layoffs Thursday. 

News_StateParks

Evers re-opens 34 parks, forests, recreational areas with restrictions

Gov. Tony Evers directed the Department of Natural Resources to re-open 34 state parks, forests and recreational areas Tuesday for the beginning of May under special conditions as temperatures rise across the state. 

Mifflin neighborhood

Mifflin Street Block Party cancelled, students still plan to safely celebrate at home

The Madison Police Department will be citing any social gatherings that violate the stay-at-home order.

News_SaferAtHomeProtest.jpg

Thousands gather at State Capitol to protest extended ‘Safer-at-Home’ order

An estimated 1,500 protestors gathered in downtown Madison just outside the Capitol building to protest Gov. Tony Evers’ extension of the ‘Safer-at-Home order Friday, despite recommendations from public health experts.

Evers releases three-phase plan to reopen Wisconsin economy

Gov. Tony Evers released the "Badger Bounce Back Plan" Monday, stating daily life will resume once there is a decline in coronavirus cases and symptoms for two weeks straight.

News_Evers

Wisconsin’s Safer at Home order extended to late May

Gov. Tony Evers announced Thursday he would extend Wisconsin’s Safer at Home order until late May in order to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus. 

News_SalvationArmy.png

Dane County government makes strides to shelter homeless population during COVID-19

The Dane County government has teamed up with the City of Madison to shelter the local homeless population amid COVID-19 health and safety risks.

News_OrangeTreeImports2.png

Inside Orange Tree Imports: How are local businesses staying afloat during COVID-19?

When co-owners Carol ‘Orange’ Schroeder and Dean Schroeder opened Orange Tree Imports in 1975 as a gift and kitchenware store, they never have anticipated the COVID-19 pandemic.

News_Devil'sLake.jpg

Evers orders closure of 40 state parks, forests, recreational areas

Gov. Tony Evers directed the Department of Natural Resources Thursday to close 40 state parks, forests and recreational areas to promote social distancing amid the COVID-19 outbreak.

News_DepartmentOfWorkplaceDevelopment.jpg

Wisconsin’s unemployment rate skyrockets to 27 percent

As businesses remain closed to prevent the transmission of the COVID-19 virus, a new projection from the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development indicated the state’s unemployment rate has risen to almost 27 percent. 

News_Polls

Supreme Court overrules Evers’ executive order to postpone election, Spring Primary will take place tomorrow

Gov. Tony Evers signed an executive order Monday ahead of Tuesday’s primary to suspend in-person voting in Wisconsin until June 9, 2020. Hours later, the State Supreme Court ruled against Ever’s executive order, meaning Wisconsin’s Spring Primary will go on as scheduled, even with the state’s ‘Safer at Home’ Order in effect.

News_CampusBascom

COVID-19 outbreak could affect UW-Madison’s fall semester

UW System President Ray Cross warned Thursday the coronavirus pandemic could force changes to the fall semester, scheduled to begin in late August. 

News_Bernie/Biden.jpg

2020 Democratic National Convention rescheduled to week of August 17 amid coronavirus concerns

The 2020 Democratic National Convention has been postponed to mid-August as organizers attempt to navigate the coronavirus pandemic, the Democratic National Committee announced Thursday. 

News_TonyEversCoronavirus.jpg

Senators, Representatives join Evers in seeking Federal resources for Coronavirus response

Gov. Tony Evers was joined by every member of Wisconsin’s congressional delegation in calling on support from national officials to receive additional resources more quickly in the state’s fight against the coronavirus outbreak.

News_MoveOut

UW System announces housing refund due to COVID-19

UW System President Ray Cross announced nearly $80 million in refunds will be made to students that had to vacate residence halls early due to the uncontrollable spread of COVID-19. 

Coronavirus-2.jpg

UW-Madison housing to store student items left in residence halls

UW-Madison announced it will bring in an outside shipping and packing company to pack and store the belongings of approximately 4,000 students in residence halls. 

News_BusCoronavirus.JPG

Madison Metro bus driver tests positive for COVID-19

Madison and Dane County Public Health say it is unlikely the driver contracted the novel coronavirus from a passenger.

SOAR_advising17_6695

UW-Madison commits to paying students amid COVID-19 closures

In response to multiple student petitions, UW-Madison released a statement Tuesday committing to income continuation for all nonessential student employees through the remainder of the semester amid COVID-19 closures. 

capitol.jpg

First death from COVID-19 in Dane County

Public Health Madison and Dane County announced the first reported death of an individual in their 70s from the novel coronavirus.

evers.jpeg

State health officials predict severe consequences if “Safer At Home” not obeyed

Following Gov. Tony Evers' order Tuesday to close all nonessential businesses and gathering places in an attempt to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus, state health officials warned that more than 20,000 Wisconsinites could contract COVID-19 if the edict is not followed.

commencement postponed.jpg

Spread of COVID-19 prompts UW-Madison to postpone spring commencement

After holding out as long as possible, UW-Madison announced Monday that it would postpone its spring commencement ceremonies due to rising concerns related to the COVID-19 virus. 

The ‘Safer At Home’ will force all nonessential businesses to close.

Gov. Evers to invoke a ‘Safer At Home’ edict

Governor Tony Evers announced Monday a “Safer at Home” order, instructing Wisconsinites to remain in their homes starting this week to battle the COVID-19 outbreak. 

fond du lac.jpg

Evers announces first two deaths from COVID-19 in Wisconsin

A man in his 50s from Fond du Lac County and a man in his 90s from Ozaukee County are the first two deaths in Wisconsin from the novel coronavirus.

09032013aldoleopold

UW-Madison residence halls may house patients as Madison hospitals prepare for overflow

Empty dorms could be offered to local hospitals as the COVID-19 crisis continues.

evers.jpeg

Evers orders shutdown of all K-12 schools in Wisconsin

The shutdown, affecting over 1 million children, will last until at least April 5.

News_St.Patrick'sDay

Madison St. Patrick’s Day festivities canceled due to concerns surrounding the COVID-19 virus

Local St. Patrick’s day parade canceled to minimize the threat of a local COVID-19 outbreak.

News_Satya.jpg

Madison public health department assures residents coronavirus risk remains low

The city urged residents to follow the health department’s recommendations to minimize the impact of the virus on the community.

News_TonyEvers.jpg

Evers declares public health emergency in Wisconsin amidst Coronavirus outbreak

Gov. Tony Evers declared a public health emergency in the state of Wisconsin Thursday morning in response to the coronavirus outbreak. 

Breaking_FondduLac

Three more cases of Coronavirus confirmed, making the total in Wisconsin six

The Wisconsin Department of Health confirmed three people have tested positive for COVID-19 Wednesday — doubling the total number of confirmed cases in Wisconsin to six.

news_LakeMonona.jpg

Third case of Coronavirus in Wisconsin confirmed in Dane County

The Wisconsin Department of Health and Dane County announced Tuesday a third person in Wisconsin — Dane County specifically — has tested positive for COVID-19. 

News_StudyAbroadCoronavirus

COVID-19 outbreaks send UW-Madison students home

While she felt no personal threat, Laura Buckman, a UW-Madison junior studying abroad in Italy, was disheartened to learn she must leave the country at the university’s request due to the recent outbreak of COVID-19, formerly known as Novel Coronavirus. 

News_Coronavirus.jpg

Wisconsin officials won’t declare state of emergency yet for Coronavirus outbreak

While COVID-19 has begun to spread across the U.S., Wisconsin officials ruled out declaring a state of emergency for now as the state and UW-Madison prepare emergency plans. 

All content © 2024 The Daily Cardinal | Powered by SNworks