The ‘Safer At Home’ will force all nonessential businesses to close.

Gov. Evers to invoke a ‘Safer At Home’ edict

Governor Tony Evers announced Monday a “Safer at Home” order, instructing Wisconsinites to remain in their homes starting this week to battle the COVID-19 outbreak. 

The announcement was made on Gov. Evers Twitter Monday morning. 

“We’re all in this together,” Gov. Evers tweeted. “Each and every one of us has to do our part to help slow the spread of COVID-19 so we can #FlattenTheCurve to ensure our doctors, nurses, and healthcare workers have the opportunity to do their important work.”

After receiving overwhelming responses of support for a "shelter-in-place," Gov. Evers has made the decision to impose what he will call a “Safer At Home” in order to get businesses to close and people to stay in their homes without further frightening people or giving the idea that martial law is being enforced, according to Gov. Evers. 

Despite saying he did not believe a shelter-in-place was necessary in a press briefing on Friday, Gov. Evers has received support from many businesses and neighboring states in favor of some sort of shelter-in-place. 

The "Safer At Home" will force all nonessential businesses to close. It is unclear at this time which businesses are considered essential. More details are expected to be released Tuesday. 

Local law enforcement will be responsible for enforcing the order, with the help of more than 300 National Guard members that will be deployed in Wisconsin to help battle COVID-19. 

COVID-19 has infected more than 400 people in the state of Wisconsin and has led to five deaths as of Monday, according to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services

All content © 2024 The Daily Cardinal | Powered by SNworks