Even though their modes of sales have changed, Carol Schroeder noted how community support on Monroe Street remains the same.

Image By: Courtesy of Google Maps

Inside Orange Tree Imports: How are local businesses staying afloat during COVID-19?

When co-owners Carol ‘Orange’ Schroeder and Dean Schroeder opened Orange Tree Imports in 1975 as a gift and kitchenware store, they never have anticipated the COVID-19 pandemic.

After Gov. Tony Evers invoked the "Safer At Home" Act on March 23 — closing all non-essential businesses — the majority of Madison’s stores and restaurants had to switch to an alternative delivery of their products through curbside pick up and delivery. 

However, to ensure the safety of their customers, Orange Tree Imports closed its doors on March 18 and switched to curbside pickup, free delivery services and limited e-commerce through drop-ship orders.

But even though their modes of sales have changed, Carol Schroeder noted how community support on Monroe Street remains the same.

“We have had many customers purchasing gift cards for when we reopen, which is very touching,” she said. “Not only does it help financially, but it also shows that they are confident we will survive the crisis. After 45 years, we’re in a good position to weather a storm like this.”

Orange Tree Imports and other Madison-based local businesses have teamed up in order to survive these closures by providing seasonal packages that can be mailed out to loved ones. Stores such as Neuhauser Pharmacy, Mystery to Me and Brasserie V have all begun a coalition of small businesses to help each other stay afloat during this trying time. 

The Schroeder’s look forward to welcoming customers back to Orange Tree Imports once it is safe to do so. They have high hopes their storefront will be open to the public in time for their 45th anniversary on May 1, but will continue to put the health and wellbeing of their community before the celebration. 

“The important effort on the part of the community is going to be throwing its full support behind local businesses once the crisis has passed,” Schroeder said. “Many will be down to their last reserves by that time, despite the welcome government assistance programs. We will have to figure out ways to make the public feel safe and welcome so that we can earn their business back.”

All content © 2024 The Daily Cardinal | Powered by SNworks