Following Gov. Tony Evers Stay At Home order, the university cancelled all moveout appointments and decided to store the leftover student items. 

Image By: Taylor Wolfram

UW-Madison housing to store student items left in residence halls

UW-Madison announced it will bring in an outside shipping and packing company to pack and store the belongings of approximately 4,000 students in residence halls. 

This allows the university to prepare for accommodation of groups in need of special housing provisions during the COVID-19 pandemic, including students and the possibility of hospital residences if hospitals overflow

Students were advised to take all necessities with them when they left campus for spring break. Later, they were  advised to collect the rest of their belongings after the university’s decision to move its spring semester online. 

However, after Gov. Tony Evers announced his "Stay At Home" order, the university cancelled all move out appointments. 

Students will not be allowed back in the dorms to collect their things, however they may reach out to University Housing with any concerns. It is unclear when students will be able to collect their belongings from storage. 

According to University Housing, there are 600 students living in the dorms due to housing concerns and personal needs such as reliable internet or travel restrictions. 

These students have been moved to four dormitories across campus in order to consolidate them and minimize staff while following all social distancing guidelines. 

All content © 2024 The Daily Cardinal | Powered by SNworks