Advisors, educators and students see value in finding purpose in learning for a major, breadth work and seizing opportunities outside the classroom.

Image By: Lyra Dark

Education in the classroom, knowledge for life

Calvin Floyd, a sophomore studying Environmental Studies and Conservation Biology, has always had a passion for environmental causes. 

However, Floyd also has a plethora of interests and, despite being a declared major, is considering adding a political science or history degree to his four-year graduation plan.

“It’s kind of hard balancing out all of the university-wide requirements with what I have to do with the major — especially when there are two majors,” he said. “That’s the root of the problem. I’m interested in so many things that it’s hard to focus in on something, and as soon as I start focusing in on some things, I feel like I’m missing out on other[s].” 

Floyd’s experience in completing his program’s criteria, along with his interest in exploring different tracks, echoes a similar concern many students share. 

While a major is made to a student’s primary interest of study, university prerequisites can — at times — constrain a student from taking classes that could result in new interests.

Nonetheless, the value of a major still maintains its importance. 

In an increasingly competitive career field and the growing need for a versatile skill set, the evolution of educational experience incorporating other course studies underscores a new trend among students — it also reinforces UW-Madison’s vision to provide holistic education that will help produce leaders in the professional world.

Advising student’s passion

To help students navigate the uncertainty surrounding their educational path, UW-Madison offers a variety of advising and peer mentor services. 

The Cross-College Advising Services assists undergraduate students in consolidating their academic interests and mapping out their educational path.

Senior Advisor Camille Bernier, who has worked with students for about 15 years, has noticed the struggles students endure in finding a major. She especially sees this trend for 2,000 incoming freshmen and transfer students who attend UW-Madison’s annual Student Orientation, Advising and Registration to enroll in classes.

CCAS advisors try to ease student’s worries about their eventual selection of a specific major or academic program. Advisors also make themselves available to encourage students to tailor their educational experience to their interests while taking the correct classes to ensure they graduate on time. 

“I think inherently the biggest sort of concern on people’s mind is feeling like they are very alone in their undecidedness, so a lot of what we do and what we like is normalizing this, normalizing that it’s okay to be exploring for a year,” Bernier said. 

Bernier said she wished students knew before entering college that “their major does not equal the rest of their life.” 

According to old CCAS data, students who initially remained undecided graduate sooner or on time because they explored their options versus entering college with a fixed mindset, Bernier said.

While some students begin and end college on a defined track, Bernier stressed that students ought to explore their options in order to receive the most rewarding education possible. 

“I wish for students to know they are going to change a lot when they’re here,” Bernier said. “I love a story when someone’s like ‘Well, everything was closed so I chose this course on human geography and I freaking love it.’” 

In addition to reflecting on their interests, Bernier emphasized the importance of building strong and trusting relationships with CCAS and other peer advisors — and a willingness to take risk.

“A good education requires a student to have open and honest communication with the people around them — ideally an advisor — about whether or not this class is a good fit,” Bernier said. “Roommates are great, house fellows are great, but we’re another wonderful resource where it’s safe and okay to sort of figure out, what do you want to get out of your days here?”

As services like CCAS help students figure out their fields of study, advising services also guide students to find their passion and excitement in learning. 

“I think there is a value [in] education for every working person, every working adult and every child,” said CCAS advisor Maame Adomako. “I wouldn’t say the education you receive makes you an expert in something, but the value of having an education is being able to be a contributing member of society, engaging and doing work that benefits the world.”

The growing importance of a diverse education

According to UW-Madison liberal arts education advocate and Professor of Educational Policy Studies and History Adam Nelson, Harvard University originally established its “elective system,” which granted undergraduates the freedom to choose classes at their own discretion. 

Though some appreciated the liberty to shape their curriculum, others wanted more structure. 

In 1909, Harvard President Abbott Lawrence Lowell suggested the integration of majors to focus a student’s studies. Since then, majors grew to build “little academic empires” that consolidated a student’s curriculum to a particular topic, according to Nelson.

However, schools like UW-Madison now emphasize the importance of exposing students to a diversity of breadths and fields of study. 

The UW-Madison School of Letters and Sciences defines its liberal arts degree, for example, as “a journey of self-discovery, as you explore new topics and discuss ideas with a wide range of people. You delve deeply into a broad range of subjects beyond just your major.” 

Through their exposure to a diverse set of breadths, UW-Madison students not only learn different skills — such as literary analysis and the scientific method — but also are more adaptable to meet the demands of a changing professional environment following graduation, according to the university.  

“An undergraduate education at a place like UW-Madison is attempting to accomplish two big goals at the same time,” Nelson said. “One is to give students a broad liberal education, and the other is to prepare students for the next step, which is continuing education for career.”

Some fields — such as Psychiatry or Education — demand more expertise and licensing.

But despite more intensive and focused curriculums, Nelson said individual eagerness and an appreciation for a comprehensive educational experience leads to success outside the classroom.

“I think those forces dovetail with the fact students often bring to the university both curiosity about a lot of different things and concern about career,” Nelson said. “They want to be prepared for a job when they finish, in addition to being very broadly educated so they become leaders in their fields. And in order to become a true leader in your field, a broad education is essential.” 

While some students struggle in balancing multiple educational interests, Bernier sees the beauty in the problem.

“A good education means sometimes you are seeing a bigger picture about these things, you’re seeing that your education is preparing you to work in all kinds of fields,” Bernier said. 

Ultimately, Nelson accentuated that UW-Madison’s devotion to providing and encouraging a comprehensive and sweeping academic environment underscores the university’s goal of enabling its students to apply their knowledge outside the classroom and change the world — otherwise referred to as the Wisconsin Idea.

“Your ability to [make connections] well has a huge effect on your ability to be the leader of your own path, and your ability to do that well is going to have an effect on our ability to lead others toward good solutions toward really complex problems — like cancer, peace and climate [change],” Nelson said. “That’s when UW people become leaders on a massive scale for societies. And I hope UW students still feel inspired to do that.”

All content © 2024 The Daily Cardinal | Powered by SNworks