Image By: Taylor Wolfram

Living Learning Communities allow like-minded students to explore passions

Living Learning Communities can be a home away from home for students nervous about coming to a large university. Student testimonials relay the benefit of living in an intentional space for curating your passion and meeting individuals eager to explore common interests. 

The university is home to 10 Learning Communities dispersed across campus, with an additional Residential Learning Community set to launch at the beginning of the next academic school year. 

These Communities span a wide range of subject areas —from science, technology, engineering and math education and leadership initiatives to artistic development and international studies. Students who take advantage of these programs are granted unique opportunities and guidance from designated activities and staff members.

Associate Director of Residence Life Cindy Holzmann spoke on the specific benefits the administration believes come from the Learning Communities.

“Students living in learning communities report more frequent and more positive interactions with faculty, more awareness and engagement with campus resources and greater interaction with a diverse peer group than students in traditional residential communities,” Holzmann said. 

So, who exactly lives in these Learning Communities? How do these residencies shape students’ first year experiences? And why do Residential Learning Communities leave such lasting impacts on students and staff?

StartUp

StartUp, located in Sellery Residence Hall and home to 64 students, is sponsored by the Wisconsin School of Business. Focused on entrepreneurial initiatives, the LLC’s goal is to foster skills that are vital to thought processes of innovative businesspeople. 

Program coordinator Sari Judge noted StartUp’s available faculty and part-time staff assist students’ engagement in creation of “for-profit, socially conscious and nonprofit” initiatives.

Judge emphasized the programs, activities and events unique to StartUp: innovation activities such as the “100-Hour Challenge” and Transcend innovation competition, grant programs like Dream Big Grants, site visits including StartingBlock, Project Thrift and various Chicago spots, monthly community dinners where industry members share their “how I got started stories” and references to a law and entrepreneurship clinic.

“The excitement that a student has when they find out their grant proposal has been funded and that a panel of experts wanted to invest in their ideas gives them the confidence to explore even more entrepreneurship opportunities on campus,” Judge said. “We are here to help give you the confidence to make that happen.”

BioHouse

UW Madison’s College of Letters and Science, along with the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, sponsor BioHouse in partnership with  the Wisconsin Institute for Science Education and Community Engagement. Cole Residence Hall houses 66 residents who partake in BioHouse, a Residential Learning Community for students eager to explore the depths of biological science. 

Current undergraduate program assistant and former BioHouse resident Caroline Hanson noted the hardships of understanding “exactly what you want to do with a biology degree” as  “overwhelming,” but credits BioHouse with achieving its goal of bringing students together to explore shared interests. 

BioHouse grants student access to alumni speakers, as well as a one semester seminar where professors come to speak about their specializations in biology. Students can attend intimate events, such as BioHouse brunches as well as larger-scale events, which have included a retreat to Kemp Natural Resource Station, a visit to Devil’s Lake State Park and a trip to Milwaukee to explore science museums.

Hanson highlighted the uniqueness of seeing “students excited about science and adopting it as a culture in their community. We are not just an academic community; all you need to do to be a part of it is be a little interested in biology.”

The Studio

The Studio is a community for interdisciplinary exploration of the arts, housing 64 students in Sellery Residence Hall. The Studio is sponsored by the Division of the Arts, but has strong connections with many UW-Madison departments.

Events hosted by The Studio consist of visual and performance art workshops, showcases, outings, professional guest speakers and discussions. First-year resident Asher Bernick-Roehr recalls the visit of a juggler from Cirque du Soleil and Blackout Improvisation  — an African American improvisation group from Minneapolis, MN —  as well as the opportunity to engage in a sewing workshop, glass blowing, group percussion class or sound and video editing. 

Bernick-Roehr appreciates the interdisciplinary versatility of The Studio and emphasizes how the environment has “something for everyone.” 

“[I] engage with people from all different backgrounds and mediums, engage in art and social justice and build a wider base to draw ideas for my future,” Bernick-Roehr said. 

The Studio has its own recording studio, black box theater and unlimited art supplies available for resident utilization.

MLC

The Multicultural Learning Community houses 56 students in Witte Residence Hall. The Wisconsin School of Business and School of Education sponsor this community geared toward discourse on topics pertaining to cultural diversity.

The MLC has been a prevalent topic among campus news over the course of the previous  semester due to changes in staffing, specifically the replacement of Cheu Fang Yang. Members of the MLC seek to engage in discourse about social justice in correspondence with a plethora  of cultures and identities. This Learning Community entails group discussions, guest speakers and small-group events that allow students to explore their own cultural experiences and learn about others. 

First-year resident Jayla Thompson complements the MLC’s capacity to discuss cultural and socioeconomic implications of diversity, among others. She credits the MLC with “the opportunity to get experience with people who come from diverse backgrounds and marginalized groups.” 

“I have been able to combine with other people of color in the community to transgress in our career goals,” Thompson said. “It is cool to be a part of a community that represents the minority/marginalized aspect of UW Pre-Law.” 

Additionally, Thompson appreciated the MLC Thanksgiving dinner.

“[We] were able to use the provided resources to make their own cultural dishes, which provided exposure to cultures outside of our own,” she added.

Alternatively, first-year resident Joya Headley focuses on her appreciation of the social justice component to multicultural exploration. Headley opted to enroll in the Multiculturalism and Social Justice Seminar, which she described as enlightening. The class focused on “what makes a person who they are.”

Living Learning Communities allow students to self-identify into communities that allow them to explore their passions and broaden their horizons with the support of dedicated staff and peers. 

While some LLC’s provide an opportunity to explore a field in a hands on environment, others allow students opportunities to connect with students from different backgrounds. No matter the purpose, each of the communities lets students connect with the world around them in a more meaningful way.

All content © 2024 The Daily Cardinal | Powered by SNworks