State News

wisconsinpoverty_withtrend-01.png

UW research helps advocates fight poverty with policy

The most recent report from the Institute for Research on Poverty at UW-Madison, published in October 2020, showed 10.6 percent of Wisconsinites lived in poverty in 2018. That rate has not changed much from 11.1 percent in 2009, when the state was beginning to recover from the Great Recession. 

Photo of three people holding up a sign that says "END THE STIGMA"

Bleed Shamelessly fights period poverty in Wisconsin, advocates to end tampon tax

Nitya Patil, an organizer with Bleed Shamelessly, believes that even in progressive areas like Dane County, a lot of work remains to destigmatize menstruation. 

Lawmakers at the state and federal have introduced multiple proposals to increase the minimum wage, but they have not gained momentum. Wisconsin’s minimum wage — $7.25 per hour — has not increased since 2009. 

Wisconsin’s $7.25 minimum wage has not increased since 2009. It’s unlikely to change anytime soon.

In March, Democratic lawmakers in Wisconsin introduced an “Economic Justice Bill of Rights for All Wisconsinites,” which, among other provisions, includes an “equitable, living-income and livelihood.”

prisoner_compressed.jpg

Incarcerated workers make just a fraction of minimum wage, and that probably won't change anytime soon

Inmates with jobs in Wisconsin make just a fraction of minimum wage, but a pay hike is unlikely due to financial and political roadblocks.

All content © 2024 The Daily Cardinal | Powered by SNworks