News_MarquetteUniversity.jpg

Milwaukee's new professional soccer team will play at the forthcoming Iron District, a sports and entertainment venue expected to open in 2024 near the Marquette Interchange.

Marquette University business school dean killed near campus

A car struck and killed Marquette University’s dean of business Tuesday night near the school’s campus, according to police. 

Emergency crews responded at 8:10 p.m. near the 10th Street and Wisconsin Avenue intersection in Milwaukee. 

The victim, identified as Dr. Joe Daniels, Keyes Dean of Business Administration, was crossing east to west along an intersection when a 20-year-old woman driving northbound sped through a green light and hit Daniels. 

Milwaukee Fire Department transported Daniels to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead. 

Police arrested the female driver for operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

An outpour of support ensued as faculty and staff mourned the loss of Daniels. 

“Joe was a campus fixture for more than 30 years, and I was honored to call him my friend. He inspired students his entire career as a mentor and educator and made an indelible impact on the field of economics as a master scholar,” said Marquette University President Dr. Michael R. Lovell in a letter. “Ultimately, Joe helped take Marquette Business to new heights. He was instrumental in inspiring a new vision for the college, which we will carry forward in his memory.”

Daniels, 60, had worked at Marquette since 1992. He was named Acting Dean of Business Administration by the school for the 2019-’20 school year. 

Classes were canceled Wednesday at the College of Business Administration, and the university announced it will provide resources for grieving community members at its campus ministry and counseling center. 

The school also stated a campus-wide prayer service would be held in the Chapel of the Holy Family at 2:00 p.m. Wednesday, and that news service Marquette Today would publish funeral arrangements once details emerge.