news_dayton.jpg

Bike and bus routes to alter as a result of the construction. 

Parts of West Dayton Street to close until October

Starting Monday, sections of West Dayton Street will close for a full reconstruction until October, according to the City of Madison. 

Nearly every facet of the roadway between North Charter and North Park Street is slated to be redone, including storm sewers, underground utilities, water main, asphalt pavement, gutter and sidewalk replacement. 

The closure will require the 80 bus line to be rerouted using parts of Johnson and Charter Streets.

Students, visitors and community members will not be able to access the north sidewalk on West Dayton Street for the duration of the project due to its proximity to steam tunnels; however, the south sidewalk will remain open throughout the process.

The construction will be completed by Terra Engineering & Construction. The midwest-based company prides itself on safety and efficiency. 

The company’s website states, “everyone from senior management to our field staff are properly trained and empowered to stop work when necessary to ensure that all environmental, health, and safety concerns are adequately addressed.”

The good news for Badger travelers is the Charter Street construction that has gone on most of the academic year is scheduled to be completed around July. 

The new construction will venture across Park Street for a month-long closure during the UW summer session. 

Bikes will be rerouted off Dayton Street and onto the Southwest Commuter Path down North Mills Street.