news_bascom.jpg

The proposed changes will go into effect in fiscal year 2020.

Tuition hike to go into effect for graduate students across UW System

UW Regents approved a tuition hike at multiple campuses for both out-of-state and graduate students Friday.

While resident undergraduate tuition across the system is not expected to increase, resident graduate tuition is. Resident graduate students at Green Bay will see the biggest increase, from $7,793 to $7,996.

Out-of-state graduate tuition will increase at UW-Green Bay, UW-LaCrosse, UW-Milwaukee, UW-Parkside, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Whitewater by about $450.

UW-Milwaukee is making changes to their business and doctor of physical therapy (DPT) programs. The physical therapy graduate program will increase from $2,596 for residents and $5,856 for out-of-state students in 2019-’20. Part of the reason for the increase is the change from an eight-credit plateau to 10 within the program. 

“After the proposed changes the UW-Milwaukee DPT program would continue to be the least expensive DPT program in Southeastern Wisconsin when compared to Marquette University, Carroll University and Concordia University,” the report said. 

Regents estimated changes to tuition including the ones described above will result in $1,123,398 in anticipated revenue for UW-Milwaukee. 

The report went on to say the additional funds would help cover instructional costs and provide more scholarships to students. 

This is the first time resident graduate tuition has increased since 2013.