almanac

Oregon Raises Minimum Wage to $3,000 an Hour

Standing outside the Oregon State Capitol, Democratic Governor Kate Brown announced that she signed into law a bill that would raise the minimum wage in Oregon to $3,000 an hour. 

“It’s time to stand up for the working families of Oregon and those struggling to make ends meet,” the 38th governor of the Beaver State said, followed by an uproar of applause from the audience, many of whom excited about the extra money they would be earning. 

“Despite now having the highest minimum wage in the country, this still may not even be enough to make a living off of. I’m proud of the Oregon Legislative Assembly for taking such bold initiative into assuring that the working people of Oregon can live in dignity and provide for their basic needs,” the Governor added. Brown had been pressured until recently to push for a minimum wage increase, and boy oh boy did she pull through. 

With lawmakers in states like New Jersey recently voting to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, the Fight For $15 Movement came in awe of Oregon’s initiative.  

“This is truly great news,” Kelly Lynne, a spokeswoman for Fight For $15,” said in an interview with CNN. “Now we’re going to have to change our name to Fight For $3,000, but we’re glad to see Oregon take such a bold move for workers. It’s time the rest of the country stand up for workers and not just the wealthiest individuals on top,” she further stated. 

Likely 2020 Presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren chimed in, stating that if she becomes President she would help advocate for a wage as high as $3,000. 

“Look, raising the minimum wage to $3,000 an hour is the only way that the middle class is going to grow. No one working 40 hours a week should be living in poverty in the 21st century in America.” 

Oregon minimum wage workers were thrilled with the news, now taking pride in serving $400 burgers to their customers. 

Almanac is our home for satire, sex, creative writing and much more. Satirical articles are intended as such.