Future of ASM’s Black Lives Matter sign hangs in the air

An original Black Lives Matter sign went up during the 23rd session. This is the first piece of legislation that has involved all members of the student council in the decision. 

The fate of the Black Lives Matter sign that hung in the Associated Students of Madison office window until last summer is uncertain as the council debates its suitability on the prominent location.

After two years, the sign was taken down for window cleaning. At the time it was originally put up, the 23rd session of ASM was not consulted. Representatives in the 25th session wanted to include the all perspectives prior to putting a sign back up.

Before bringing up the legislation, College Republicans Chairman Charlie Mueth displayed interest in making a sign that represented all student organizations on campus.

“ASM is at it’s best when it is supporting all [student] interests rather than just picking and choosing a couple of them,” Mueth said. “So, why is ASM putting up a sign with just one of the interests instead of a bunch of signs with them?”

However, the Equity and Inclusion Chair Agalia Ardyasa and Representative Paul Jackson II view this as an opportunity to promote inclusivity on campus and allow students to feel welcome to join the council.

“As you can see there’s not very much representation in ASM and I feel like putting it down would get rid of that tension between ASM and the community,” Ardyasa said. “And that’s not one thing that I would like to see as the chair this year.”