UW System tuition freeze extended

The Republican-controlled Joint Finance Committee guaranteed an additional two years to the freeze on in-state undergraduate tuition in the UW System, but only granted less than half of Gov. Tony Evers’ proposed budget for the schools.

Cross’s restructuring emails criticizes shared governance, UW System student representative responds

After some faculty and students said they felt “blindsided” by the restructuring of the UW System, the only student on the system’s restructuring committee slammed System President Ray Cross for emails he sent about the plan.

In emails obtained by Wisconsin Public Radio, Cross expressed frustration to Regent Gerald Whitburn about shared governance groups’ reaction to the change.

“Getting hammered by the 'shared governance' leaders because they weren't involved in the process; however, had they been involved we wouldn't be doing anything!!” Cross wrote.

In response, Nick Webber — the only student representative on the University of Wisconsin Colleges and Extension Restructuring Committee — issued a statement against Cross’s comments about shared governance.

“It is my firm belief that shared governance plays an integral role in ensuring transparency, accountability, and the quality of education we have come to expect from the University of Wisconsin System,” Webber said. “It is crucial that shared governance remain at the core of university progress, for this deliberative process serves as an institutional safeguard to political whims and other outside forces that jeopardize the experience of our students.”

Back in October, a proposal to restructure the entire UW System leaked to the public. Two-year schools would be linked with the four-year schools instead of operating independently. System leaders officially announced the plan the following day.

But students and faculty were upset because they were not consulted in the plan, which will take effect in July 2018. Additionally, faculty, administrators, academic staff and university staff weren’t notified of the restructuring before the proposal leaked.

“It is my sincere hope that divisive sentiments toward the employees and students of the University of Wisconsin System will no longer be tolerated,” Webber said. “The comments made were simply inappropriate and must be addressed immediately.”